How to keep dogs from jumping up on you? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

How to keep dogs from jumping up on you?

I have heard of lifting your knee up when they try to jump on you and saying no. It doesn't seem to work though! Any other suggestions? They only do it when we come home, or when we first wake up in the morning and they are so spastic to see us. I want to be able to keep them excited about seeing us, but subtract the jumping up because those dang claws can hurt! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Cut their nails? haha just kidding
The knee thing worked on my last dog but the timing has to be perfect so they don't
see it and you don't hurt them.
On the current dog we turned our back and crossed our arms and said OFF. With a puppy it takes a while because they are puppies and boisterous. Also, when returning from being away, minimize your greeting, even ignore him/her until he/she settles down.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

Fold your arms, turn your back and ignore them.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

I make her sit. Can't jump when sitting Hold the collar to keep in a sit if the pup is young.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Knighted Member

Turn your back and look up.
Even tilting your head in their direction is some kind of attention. They need to learn that that kind of behavior does not get any attention.

Ignore them for about five minutes and then greet them. Don't reward the excitement with attention of any kind; whether postive or negetive.
Aloof is the word I'm looking for.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Cut their nails? haha just kidding
The knee thing worked on my last dog but the timing has to be perfect so they don't
see it and you don't hurt them.
On the current dog we turned our back and crossed our arms and said OFF. With a puppy it takes a while because they are puppies and boisterous. Also, when returning from being away, minimize your greeting, even ignore him/her until he/she settles down.
No, really I've thought about that. Bruiser is 6 mos. old and we are still working on the jumping up aspect. I think he is just now getting it, after a lot of turning my back on him and not giving any attention until he mellows out.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Knighted Member

At six months you just have to be very consistant and have everyone that lives with the dog do exactly the same thing.

*Easier typed than done...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Master Member

I've done the knee up as well and it does work sometimes. I also trained my dogs that wide open hand, palm facing them almost like saying stop to a car , in their face and saying no has worked as well. It just takes time and patience and alot of repeat and reinforcement with positive rewards. Also don't give any affection until they have calmed down so they realize the faster I calm down the faster I get loved on.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

i would never knee a dog. i would teach them not to
jump from day one. when on a leash slide your
hand down the leash and don't allow them to jump.
if they're not on a leash hold them by the collar. if you
don't have a collar on them hold them down. don't give them
the chance to jump.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Master Member

I have used the knee and a scolding tone "NO!", the dog gets the message.

If you have a helper, you can put the dog on leash with some collar around his neck (prong would make it quicker) then you approach the dog so he's in front of the helper, focused on you.. when the dog jumps up, your helper gives a collar correction and you walk away. Approach again, etc. until he does not jump or sits, then you praise him. If when starting the praise he jumps, correction and walk away.

Also as another person said, it's not GOOD for the dog to be uncontrollably excited like that, don't encourage that level of arousal, it will not help anything. Live with it but don't encourage it. As the above person said, ignore them until they settle down. That will make them figure out that they are not going to get anywhere in that crazed state of mind. By that alone, they would be less likely to jump on you.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page