getting beat up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

getting beat up

Ok I love to ride horses and Gus my 6 month gsd loves to go but any dogs we pass or **** the dogs at my moms house they will beat him up and he dose not stand up for himself I don't expect him to be a killer just stop tuckin tail and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Crowned Member

So what's the problem here? You're putting your PUPPY with unstable dogs and he's getting attacked by bigger and more mature dogs? I don't blame him for tucking his tail between his legs and running.... he's a PUPPY!

Stop putting your dog in situations where this happens or you're going to have a dog/fear aggressive dog on your hands by the time he matures.

It's your responsibility to protect your puppy and from your above post, it doesn't sound like you're doing a very good job at doing that. Sounds like you're failing him as a puppy owner.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Crowned Member

What kind of person are you to expect your puppy to stand up to other dogs attacking him?!!!!! Shame on you! It's your job to protect your dog from other dogs so he can grow up with an intact, stable, and friendly temperament, not some vicious, freaked out, unstable, cujo type dog.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Elite Member

He's a baby & needs your protection. Even with adult dogs, it's unwise to allow them to fight. Serious injuries, trauma, even death can be the result of dogs fighting.

Help him to build confidence & develop 'presence' while remaining courteous & other dogs might be less inclined to bully & pick at him. Much like school yard bullies, canine bullies usually go for the 'easy mark'. In my experience, confident, self assured dogs are often less inclined to inappropriately aggress b/c they *know* they're good without constantly needing to assert themselves & prove it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

I protect gus from situations like older dogs tryin to whoop up on him but when im around oother people and they have younger puppies beating up on him even if they are playin.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Crowned Member

How old are the dogs at your mom's house?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Elite Member

IF the 'play' isn't pleasurable for him, then it's not really play, regardless of the other dogs' ages or how large they are. Don't permit others, human or canine, to bully him. Many dogs enjoy rough ply. Others just don't.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
IF the 'play' isn't pleasurable for him, then it's not really play, regardless of the other dogs' ages or how large they are. Don't permit others, human or canine, to bully him. Many dogs enjoy rough ply. Others just don't.
Oh yeah... Lucy has never been tolerable of dogs trying to get rough with her unless she really knows them. Strange dogs jumping on her is a big no no with her.... easy way for a fight to break out. This is why I control who she plays with at all times.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Let's see max is probably 2 yrs mattie is 1 yr thorn is about 18 yrs but he don't mess with him but gus tries and got two 8 week old puppies but they all play together until they get rough but thorn just watchs he's more of a overseer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Crowned Member

You need to protect your puppy from negative experiences if you want a stable adult. Allowing those other dogs to even get at him for a second, is a negative experience. Protect your pup. end of story.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page