Dogs and Livestock Fencing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Dogs and Livestock Fencing

We are going to start beekeeping this summer. Because we live in an area with black bears, we need to put electric fencing around the hives.

I would really, really like it if neither of my dogs finds out the hard way that the fence is electrified. For those of you with electrified livestock fencing, what did you do to teach the dogs not to touch the wires? Or did you just let them learn that lesson on their own?

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Dogs learn quick friend had a farm with cattle fence - now will a cattle charger be enough for a bear? I don't know about that.

LOL I had a hot wire for dogs around the top of my fence. My dad just HAD to touch it to see what it would do. The dog was leaning up against my dad's leg at the time. He avoided my father for the entire visit!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM

the dogs will learn fast....the first time they come in contact with it. I would not put a puppy in a 1/4 acre yard with hot fencing all around it, but in a larger environment with a small pen for the bees, that should not be an issue.

E-collars can pack as much as a fence...some more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't know how much of a charge this fence is going to have. It will be five strands of hot wires, powered by a small solar panel. All the components were purchased at Tractor Supply, so it's not like they were super expensive... From what I understand, the power of the charge depends on how many miles of line you have. Something like 7500 volts.

What do you all think of us using verbal commands when the dogs get near the fence, like "eh-eh" and "over here" to call them away, and then if they touch the fence, well I guess they learned maybe they should listen...

What's really kind of funny is that with the bears you are supposed to bait the fence with strips of bacon to call the bear in and teach him his lesson right away when you know your fence is working properly. I think we're going to skip that step. Seems unreasonably cruel to the dogs!

Leah
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Master Member

My Fiance's family has cows so their property is lined with electric fencing that is a high enough voltage to deter a cow. When Freyja was a small pup we put the fence on the lowest voltage and let her test it (it was barely even a tingle when I grabbed it, of course Mommy had to test the fence first). Was just enough to spook her, although from the way she carried on you would have thought that we were torturing her for hours. Now if we want her to stay out of an area, we string up electric wire and don't even have to hook it up. Although I have learned that if she is after a ball or I happen to be on the other side of the fence, she will go right through it without blinking an eye.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

I have an electric wire running on top of my fence in the back yard. I have a four foot chain link fence, the dogs could easily go over, and the horses would stick their heads over and try to graze - pushing on the fence.

It is on a high enough voltage to deter the horses. But both horse and dogs will still come within inches from the wire. It pulses, so if someone does touch it the fence will release them when it pulses.

I let the dogs & horses figure it out on their own. IMO - it would be much better for you to be there when the dogs first test the fence. You wouldn't want them to go charging into the fence.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay, thanks for the tips. I will look into whether or not the stuff we got will pulse, and if I can dial down the voltage for their first introduction. And I will definitely be there when the dogs are introduced to the fence!

Leah
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Knighted Member

I have a solar powered electric fence for the horses and I ran a hot wire infront of my Rhodies to keep the dogs out. It pulses and my dogs all learned on thier own. Of course I always tried to deter them from going close. Unfortunately those wet noses make the zap worse. Lakota got zapped at least 3 times that I know of, she ran yelping, I felt bad of course. The 2 older dogs aren't phased by it anymore and will even sniff under the wire, as the wire touches thier hair. I was weeding during the summer and was bending to reach under the wire. There was sweat on my forehead and I got a big zap.
My cat thinks its great, she'll sit just under the wire and the puppy won't touch her and she knows it.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in