Would you use 'Sleep', 'bang bang', or something else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Would you use 'Sleep', 'bang bang', or something else?

The pup and I were waiting at Car Toys for work to be completed, so we had some time to learn a trick... since he was on a leash, I decided "sleep" would be easy.

He learned it pretty quickly (simply going from a down position to rolling onto his side). Through the training I noticed that he hears "sleep" and sometimes thinks it's "sit". When he learns "stay", is this amounting to too many "S" commands? Should we give him the benefit of the doubt that he won't get confused if he'd just listen to the whole word?

My boyfriend suggested 'bang bang', but it's certainly not as cute as 'sleep'. Ranger also responds to 'go to sleep' now as well, but that seems like a pretty long command just to differentiate between 'sleep' and 'sit'.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
is this for play dead?

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

I've been trying to teach coco, but can't get her to roll over off of the "down." really the only way that i can motivate her is with a belly rub...how did you get ranger to roll on his side?

ps. i;m using bang bang with a "finger gun" because i think it's funny. my friend's border learned that way, and it's so cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Knighted Member

I used the word "dead" because it's easier to work into sentences... Like "play dead", "Bang, Bang, you're dead!" or "Hey, you're supposed to be dead now."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Quote:
Originally Posted by myCOCO View Post
I've been trying to teach coco, but can't get her to roll over off of the "down." really the only way that i can motivate her is with a belly rub...how did you get ranger to roll on his side?

ps. i;m using bang bang with a "finger gun" because i think it's funny. my friend's border learned that way, and it's so cute!
I taught Dodger to roll over by using a treat. I just broke it down in to small parts then put it all together when I felt he was understanding it.

for Play Dead I use bang, at least I'm trying to teach Dodger how to play dead, he keeps wanting to roll over lol

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

"dead" is a good one! I'll let the boy know... he seems to want this to be a MANLY dog. Perhaps Sleep isn't manly? geez.

I taught him sleep by pushing him over from a down saying sleep the whole time and when he did it, he got a treat. Eventually he wouldn't even get up from the 'sleep' position, so I'd continue giving him treats saying good sleep, good sleep, good sleep, until he got up. Within minutes he was just rolling onto his side.

The hardest part I think was him learning he could roll either way depending on which way he was facing because he still wanted to look at me.

"dead" is good... and incorporating it in the different phrases is a great idea. Plus, I couldn't think of a hand signal for "sleep", so this works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page