To not tear my arm muscles walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

To not tear my arm muscles walking

This is going to be a bit of a rant. I think I've had it with ever getting Titon to walk on a leash civilly. There's just no hope.

I went to the mountains this afternoon where there is a section that requires on-leash before you get to the off-leash section. Let's say, I was injured on the way TO the off leash section.

Titon pulled, twisted, whined, jumped and acted like bloody murder when I stood like a tree because of his pulling not once but several times. Take one step, leash is loose and whatever slack there is he'll take advantage of it till I stop and pull him back. This went on for an hour because I just could NOT have him pulling to the end of the leash. This is how I was injured today. He tore the muscles in my arm just on the back of my arm pit.

I have tried all I know to get this behavior to stop. Prong collars, walk easy harnesses, martingale colors, etc. He has NO desire to or clue that walking easy will get him AND I to where we need to go.

This needs to stop or we're never going for walks, hikes, etc. again.

I'm royally pissed off.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

Run him, play fetch before going out on a hike? Does he get much off leash exercise?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Erich, check out my posts on this thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...will-work.html

It can take a lot of time and patience to teach leash skills, especially with an older dog that's already big and strong and who has developed bad habits that need to be fixed. But you can do it!

I didn't spend nearly enough time teaching Keefer to walk nicely on leash when he was younger, but I vowed to not make that mistake again with Halo. I started when she was young, just kept plugging away at it, and I pretty much had to ditch the idea of "going for a walk" in the meantime. Now she's fabulous on leash, and guess what? Keefer is MUCH better too! I used the same techniques with him that were successful with Halo, and although I did most of that early leash training with her on a flat collar, I used a prong with him because that was the only way I'd have enough control if he decided not to cooperate.

If you look at the links I provided, some of this stuff is foundation work that you can do around the house. Once you've made progress there, try it in a slightly more distracting environment such as in your yard.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Crowned Member

I have never found the standing in one position or repeated turning around and praying my dog knocks it off to work. I use a prong collar and teach my dog to not pull. I use the collar as a training device and actively use it. I have never had a dog come through here that I haven't been able to teach to walk nicely on a leash within a couple of minutes.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I meant on the way from the off leash area where he had already romped around for 3 hours chasing ball, playing, etc. So he should have been really worn out. I think it was a combination of me being frustrated and him being worn out that caused a rift.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Run him, play fetch before going out on a hike? Does he get much off leash exercise?
I run with him every morning at 5am in preparation for a half marathon I am training for.

He's off leash all the time.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ironically, when I stopped like a tree, turned around and walked the other direction... He was perfect on leash. Turn back around to go the right way, the **** begins. Stop, turn around and head the opposite direction, it starts good again.

I'm going to get out the prong. This behavior is going to stop and I mean now. I'm leader, therefore I rule this pack.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

If you pop the prong collar it should get the message thru to him. I'm opposite of you, I don't mind my dog pulling when we are on a long hike, it is muscle building for both of us, though I am really sore the next day. My dog is always off leash(other than the public hiking trail). When they jolt you, thats where injuries to both dog and handler happen.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I get to the point where I get frustrated and just let him off leash anyways but they this is re-enforcing his behavior to get what he wants and I want it to stop. This area isn't exactly flat, I'm looking at 25-30 feet straight down drop off cliffs with very narrow paths.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

going down, a line can be dangerous, I wouldn't expect him to be on leash during that time.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page