Jumps on guests - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Jumps on guests

My dog does not jump on anyone who lives in our household, but when certain guests come over (only people that he really likes, and that do not visit regularly) he gets so overcome with excitement that he jumps on them. Currently, we are either putting him on a leash, or not letting him into the room until he calms down. Any idea's on how to stop this behavior?

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM

My suggestion would be to have him on leash and have everyone ignore him until he is calm with all four on the floor. You are holding the leash so he can't jump on the person but he gets no attention (no saying anything, no eye contact, no touching) until he's calm.

I have the same problem with Raven. She doesn't jump on me but she goes crazy when people come over and since we don't get visitors often it's been very hard to get her to think when people come in instead of being out of her mind excited.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you Raven, I have tried putting him on the leash and using the no talk, no touch, no eye contact-but I can't seem to get my guest's to comply. They will for about a minute, but then they start talking to him, saying "hi Brutus" and so on. Ugghhh! That really gets him going. I am hoping that when he is older he will calm down some more. Plus he was just neutered, maybe that will help, people say they calm down some after.

*US Army Mom*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to SydNeff
This method may sounds strange but bare with me. I have a very large boy at 110 pounds (who isn't neutered) which makes him all the more intimidating to people. So the trick is to teach your dog to jump up on you, and then to make him get down and sit. Repeating this act with make the dog learn the command for down and even if he does jump on anyone he will know the command to get down.
Of course you'll have to work with them over time to learn this. When my dog was a puppy I wanted to make sure he wouldn't bark constantly, so I taught him to bark on command and that so taught him that barking was only appropriate when it was asked of him. The same is with jumping on people, you teach them and over time they learn that it is only appropriate when asked of them. I hope this helps, though my german has never been very excitable dog.
PS. Take Raven out to see new people where ever you can and that will help too
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
Thank you Raven, I have tried putting him on the leash and using the no talk, no touch, no eye contact-but I can't seem to get my guest's to comply. They will for about a minute, but then they start talking to him, saying "hi Brutus" and so on. Ugghhh! That really gets him going. I am hoping that when he is older he will calm down some more. Plus he was just neutered, maybe that will help, people say they calm down some after.
I know what you mean :rolleyes and I do as gsdraven said, I put him on a leash, put the leash on the floor and then put my feet on it, he won't be able to jump that way and also no talk, no touch, no eye contact until he's calm.

Helios usually doesn't jump on me but If I know that He'll and Im near a toy or something I'll use that to distract him, asking him to down, spin, sit, w/e to make him forget that I've just arrived.

Sandra
Mia, 2YO GSD
Helios, 6 YO GSD
Otto, 5 YO Yorkshire

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire
Popi, 13 YO Pekingese - 2014
Boni, 14 YO Pekingese -2015
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:13 PM

I found that by having them greet us more calmly after a few hour separation they do much better around guests. I realized that by being as excited to see them as they were to see us and loving all over them when they were super excited it was fueling their excitement even more. It made it hard on us at times and no fun for guests.

So we kept ignoring them until they calmed and then loved all over them. Now they come in and check things out before even asking to be petted. Being rewarded for calm behavior has translated itself for guests which still get them excited but not to the same erratic crazy all over them degree it used to be.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I found that by having them greet us more calmly after a few hour separation they do much better around guests. I realized that by being as excited to see them as they were to see us and loving all over them when they were super excited it was fueling their excitement even more. It made it hard on us at times and no fun for guests.

So we kept ignoring them until they calmed and then loved all over them. Now they come in and check things out before even asking to be petted. Being rewarded for calm behavior has translated itself for guests which still get them excited but not to the same erratic crazy all over them degree it used to be.
Excellent idea, I will have to try this. Even though he won't jump on us he does crazy circles around us when we get home, ignoring even this until he calms down may just do the trick and take the chaos out of greetings, and in turn how he greets guests, I love it, thank you.

*US Army Mom*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page