High Drive Pup Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

High Drive Pup Questions

Let me first say Eva is high drive, got her because of that and love her for it. Want her no other way, but there are two problem, and one odd behavior I have on my mind.

1. Picking up and carrying my $30 dollar sandals. How do i stop this behavior without confusing her on drive positive things? I want her to love her toys, not my shoes.

2. Knowing when it is ok to play fight with me and when its not ok. For example i will pull on her toys and slightly rough house with her to embrace her drive and tire her out. But then other times shell get on the couch with me, act like shes gonna lay down and then wham bites me (hard!) right on the nose. How do i curb (i know shes still learning her own strength and teething and stuff) this behavior without teaching her biting is bad? I want her to be able to do bite training down the road...

3. She inherited an odd trait from her mother. Eva carries around small sticks on her walk. Her breeder says it comes from high drive and her mother. Mom is known to steal tools and gloves and even carries around 2x4s on their farm. Is this a behavior to embrace or one to curb? I'm worried about a splinter or something getting into her stomach? Anyone's dog do this? or other such odd behavior?

I'm sure these are odd questions, please help! I want to save my property and fingers without diminishing the best attribute my beautiful pup has...her drive.

Thank you for your time, Any and all answers and information are appreciated.

Ken, father of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Blk & Red GSD pup, 2/1/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, Orange Tabby
Sam, Siamese mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

1. Put your shoes in the closet and shut the door. Put her toys where they are easily accessible.
2. Carry a toy at all times. When you don't want her biting you, shove it in her mouth.
3. You certainly don't want to squash this behavior as you can channel it into all sorts of useful activities. Others may disagree with me on this, but. . . . dogs have been chewing on sticks as long as there have been dogs. I wouldn't leave treated lumber lying around for her to play with, but I personally let my puppy play with and chew on sticks.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Carrying ok
Dont THROW sticks
Know too many high drive dogs who have had major mouth injuries that way
Sounds like a basically normal puppy

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page