I can't get my pup to lay down without using hand motions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I can't get my pup to lay down without using hand motions

He's good when I use a hand motion to lead him into a lay down position, but he won't go into a lay down when I give him the platz command. I want him to behave like the puppy in this video. I'm good with the sitz (so long as a treat is involved) but the platz won't work unless I bend down and lead him into a lay down.

We've been at it for a couple of weeks.. what can I do different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

What are you doing to fade the hand motion? Are you trying to fade it, or are you just stopping using it?

You'll have to make the transition gradually. Start by motioning him most of the way, but let's say that if you're touching the floor or your hand gets to within an inch of the floor, to make that a little less and only take your hand as far as two or three inches above the floor for a few repitions, then start pulling your hand up a little further, until you either don't need to motion at all, or are motioning slightly from a standing position. Fading the lure is all about gradually doing it as fast as you can, if that makes any sense.

Good luck!

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Be certain that you are saying the word first before you make any movement at all with your hand or your body. I tell people to say the word, give a pause for the dog to respond and then make the motion if it doesn't. Once it understands the motion is going to come after the word, it will begin to anticipate and go into the down. You even have to watch your eyes! Soleil wouldn't lie down unless I looked at the ground. They are much more perceptive of non-verbal language so learning the spoken command takes some patience with a pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

I'm assuming your dog is still a young puppy, correct me if I'm wrong. So what I would do is to keep on using the signal, except make it progressively more subtle. So go from pointing your finger down on the ground (with the verbal command), to putting your finger just a couple inches off the ground, and so on until you aren't bending over any more. Don't be afraid to wait and let the dog figure out what you are asking of him.

Hope this is helpful.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Elite Member

How are you marking the desired behavior? ("yes", clicker)? Are you saying platz before leading him down? In other words, what exactly are you doing right now?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10 View Post
How are you marking the desired behavior? ("yes", clicker)? Are you saying platz before leading him down? In other words, what exactly are you doing right now?
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Here's what I'm currently doing

1. I take a knee.
2. I say Maximus! Achtung! to get his attention.
3. I say "gut" and praise him when he makes eye contact.
4. I put him in a sitz, say "gut!" and praise him as soon as his butt hits the ground
5. I then take out the treat so he can see it, say "Maximus, Platz!" and I lure the treat downwards. His snout follows it and he drops. I say "gut!" as soon as his body touches the floor, release the treat, and give him praise.

I will then alternate using a treat as a lure or using just an empty hand. Either way, he gets lots of praise when he lays down.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

If you can use the empty hand successfully, you should be doing that 100% of the time and then rewarding with the opposite hand. You should only be showing him the treat the first 2 or 3 times you work the behavior, otherwise you're going to create a food-dependent dog that will not work unless he sees food.

So, quit using the food in your hand, don't let him see it, and keep luring less and less. Don't kneel, stand.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I completely agree with Danielle about the lure. I use a food lure to teach behaviors to my pups, but I only keep the food in that hand as long as absolutely necessary - usually that's within the first brief training session or two. Once they've followed the lure into position a couple of times, I use the lure motion with an empty hand and treat from the other hand. I wouldn't even worry about getting a solid verbal command until he fully understands your hand signal without food in it, so start there. Gradually fade the signal to something more subtle. In the beginning I start with my palm going all the way down till it touches the floor while I'm sitting with the puppy, and fade it to where I can simply point to the ground with one finger from a standing position.

Once he'll drop immediately into a down when you give him the hand signal, do what Samba said - say the word, wait a beat or two, then use your hand signal. Always do whatever the dog doesn't know before what the dog does know. It will become a predictor of what will follow, and create an association between the two. Do not do them at the same time because the dog will tune out the meaningless word and focus on the hand signal that he recognizes! Once you try that for a while, give the verbal cue and start waiting longer and longer to follow up with the hand signal, and only as a reminder (if necessary) of what the word means. I've counted off as much 20 or 30 seconds in my head while waiting for the pup to work through it and figure it out, and when they finally DO, it's a huge party! But work up to that, a few seconds at first is plenty.

Another thing I did with all my puppies was to wear my treat bag at all times when I was home, with my clicker attached to it. Any time the puppy laid down I'd click and toss a treat. Don't say a word, just wait for him to do it. You can use a verbal marker if you prefer, doesn't matter. If you toss the treat away from him so he has to get up to get it you can get a lot of repetitions in a short time period. The more you reward it, the more he's going to offer it, and when he gets up to get the treat and you can see he's about to lay down again, use your cue right before he does, then mark and reward.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

lucky to get her to lay down ,i cant get Triad to lay down unless he is on something soft like his bed or pillow
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
If you can use the empty hand successfully, you should be doing that 100% of the time and then rewarding with the opposite hand. You should only be showing him the treat the first 2 or 3 times you work the behavior, otherwise you're going to create a food-dependent dog that will not work unless he sees food.

So, quit using the food in your hand, don't let him see it, and keep luring less and less. Don't kneel, stand.
I'll do the opposite hand trick, thanks.

If I don't kneel, that means I would have to bend over to lure him, yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page