Two Dogs - trying to leash train - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Two Dogs - trying to leash train

We have two four and a half month old puppies - brother and sister, Max & Molly. We are having problems getting them to walk on the leash without pulling. They are always together so we try to take them out together but we are now wondering should we take them out individually even though the other puppy will howl and cry when left on their own without their sibling? In general they are pretty well behaved - Molly is a lot more assertive than Max and although not always 100% obedient, they are getting more consistent. We also notice that when we try to get them to sit when they are out walking, they take a longer to respond than when doing focused training with them in the back yard - is that typical?

So - do we walk them individually or teach them to walk together without pulling on the leash? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

They should be trained seperately. This is why it's not recommended to raise two pups at once (among other reasons, which will come in time). Your pups should be excited and happy to train and walk with you, not be longing for the other pup. Seperate them now or regret it later.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Master Member

I would definitely teach them first to walk on a leash without pulling individually and then move to walking them together.

I think it's important they also learn that, even though they're leaving their littermate behind, the world will not end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Dee

We were kind of thinking that training individually is the way to go but we just wanted to be sure, they get on great together so we were happy to try training them together but it has become more difficult now especially where walking is concerned! I agree they need to know there's life beyond the littermate - thankfully we live in the country so nobody can hear the howls when they're separated - it sounds like total torture for the one left behind!

As for having two of them, we have a very large property that they can run around in safely all day and generally there are people around but we wanted two to keep each other company and the way they play together all day it is working out great but we want them to have manners and be well trained. We will get them spayed & neutered once they're old enough so that will help stop other problems down the road
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

That's not what I meant by other problems. Best of luck to you.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM

I have sisters that I brought home together. I found it much easier to train them together in most things but leash walking and focus was something that had to be done separately. Try taking the one you're working with as far away from the other as possible so the noise isn't as great a distraction or get someone to distract them both while working them in separate areas, even in another room. Let them look forward to going with you and doing fun things like treats and let the other one learn that making all that noise isn't going to help one bit. That's my suggestion.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
That's not what I meant by other problems. Best of luck to you.
Enlighten us all !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Crowned Member

they need to be seperated even in training. they need to learn that life doesnt end when they are apart. Would NEVER suggest two pups at once. Good luck.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkhmer View Post
Enlighten us all !
I'd recommend starting with this

Leerburg | Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
DWP

Same issue

Had the same issue! Two female GSDs. One is 7 the other 2 now, but the younger one would walk on a loose leash perfectly unless the older one whent with her. Then she would focus on the older female. They are close and do a lot together.

We cured this as the others have already said. We started seperate walks and training sessions. It has worked wonders.

"Dogs were put on Earth to demonstrate unconditional love, cats are here to teach us we aren't that **** important"

Philip Perkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page