Off leash training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
vat
Knighted Member

Off leash training

So it is time I train for off leash. I do not really want to spend money on training when I can do that here. Any suggestions to start, any websites or books you can refer for off leash training?

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Off leash training for....?

Are you talking a recall, off-leash obedience, etc?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Knighted Member

TO add to the above questions?

What kind of tools are you currently using? Collar, leashes, etc?

What kind of training tools are you planning on. Long line leash- 20+ feet? How is your dog's recall now?

What kind of areas do you have to train in? Enclosed field, ballpark, schoolyard? Can you work there without distractions around you?

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Oddly enough, today London walked PERFECTLY through my 'hood off-leash. I have been training him to do so for about a year. To start this task, you must have taught your dog responsive recall. Very important. And your dog must be heeling on leash as well. One more thing, I have taught London to step off the road and sit when a car approaches. We live in a remote subdivision with no sidewalks but there is no thru traffic, only the few neighbors.

The first step is to have your dog's collar on with a short leash (6"-12") attached to it in case you have to grab it. Start walking along a fence in your enclosed backyard, if possible. Your dog should be against the fence and you should be next to him/her. Keep reinforcing the command "heel". If your dog starts to wander or get distracted, grab the short leash and gently pop it while saying "heel". When he/she is heeling, PRAISE! "Good heel!"

In our Intermediate Obedience Class, we all begin class off leash and randomly walking all around the large room. It is very distractful for the dogs because there is about 12-14 other dogs walking around off leash! It has been a great experience for London and me.

My first GSD, Minerva, learned to walk off-leash like a natural. There were times when a squirrel would dart right in front of us and into the street and Minerva would leave it. She was definitely focused on me above and beyond anything else. I was fortunate to have owned her.

It makes life so enjoyable when you have gained that trust/understanding from your dog whereas you can walk off-leash. For me, personally, it provides a sense of closeness for my dog and me as well as a sense of freedom.

London's Mom

---------------------------------------------
Minerva 9/1994 - 1/2009
Lugar 4/1997 - 2/2009
Olina 4/2009 - 2/2011

London 1/19/2009 -
Emma 8/27/2010 -
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Off leash training? I always train my dogs without a leash.

Are you talking about going for walks?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
vat
Knighted Member

Sorry I have not been back to answer, I had to come looking for this post.

I do off leash train in the house and I have done some in the back yard. I guess I just want to make sure he is reliable on recall and stay off leash in case he gets out (which has happened). We have some forest preserves around here but no fenced areas. I would not trust him off leash at places like that. Do I take him to these places and work him on a long leash?

London's Mom what a great idea, I do have a fenced yard and will give that a try.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM

you need to have very solid on leash training before you can start off leash

if you dog dont listen to you when hes on a leash there is no way he going to listen off leash

but what you need to do is start off small put him in a sit or down and walk a circle around him the lengh of the leash do that for a few days then start getting further and further away but always come back to him

after he has mastered that then you can put him in a sit or down walk a short distance away and give him the come command and still be able to use the leash to make sure that he does what he is told.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyhunter94 View Post
you need to have very solid on leash training before you can start off leash

I don't really even leash my puppies until I've had them for months except for SAFETY reasons.

In my experience, it's much easier to teach them OFF leash to stay with you and come if you start the day they hit your house at 8 weeks. When puppies NEED to stay with their pack and we can use that to our advantage.

Have to stress, you need to be somewhere safe for the puppy in case it startles and does dart off for a sec, but the following is how I 'walk' my puppies!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 AM

MaggieRoseLee, I am amazed at how well your dogs listen to you. The way you walk your dogs is the way I one day hope to. We are looking at buying a GSD so right now I am researching a lot, and realizing there is a lot to learn and teach with dogs. You say you never leashed them. So how did you ever take them out on walks when they were 8 weeks old, and not have them run away? So interested in how you got them to listen like that. I love how they turn around to make sure your there!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Maggie nice vid and nice looking dogs but sry to say anyone can walk a dog out in the county in the woods with no leash. Would you let your dogs off leash while walking down the road? or on a sidwalk in town? I know that I can with my dog and that was bc of the onleash training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page