Too friendly 9Month Old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Too friendly 9Month Old GSD

My GSD, Bluie, is very friendly. . . I just got it actually yesterday! to be exact. . . But currently it is FRIENDLY with all, which is good. . . But I would like him to stay friendly with us, but at the same time, I want him to work as a GAURD DOG. . . Any suggestions on how to go about doing that. . .

For your reference, he is 9months old, male, medium long hair GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 AM

he will do his job being protective over his home. MY boy is 3 months he was friendly with my brother last week on monday my brother was in my back yard to come get the rest of the lumber that was left in my yard from previous owner. he saw my brother and started barking till i said it wsa ok then he stopped and realize there wass no harm and went to greet him,.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

At his age, he should be friendly, so you got a good one!! He is still a puppy, GSDs mature slow, and his protective instincts won't come out until he is about 18 or 24 months old. As for as being a guard dog, be careful what you wish for!!! Much MUCH better to have a friendly dog that will alert bark to tell you of anything different, than a crazy aggressive dog that wants to eat everything that moves that you can't take anywhere.

For now, work on your relationship with him. Training, classes, hikes, lots of play and walks and fetch. Let him be a puppy and mature knowing that you, the owner/pack leader will be there to look out for him, protect him, and keep him safe. Take him everywhere and socialize him to all sorts of places and things and people. This way he will learn to differentiate between normal things and suspicious people and odd situations where he needs to alert you.

Just have an obedient, well-behaved German Shepherd by your side is an exellent visual deterent that will go a long way in discouraging shady characters from trying anything - without the worry of him going after someone inappropriately.

Hang around, ask questions, and share stories. Welcome to the forum!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

I agree with Castlemaid, just having a GSD sitting beside you anywhere will make a person think twice about doing something stupid. Even one laying on the porch would stop most bad guys. My first GSD was a female and I trained her for search and rescue, she was excellent at it. She also had to be very friendly when she found her "finds" and had to act that way, nothing worse than a search dog that scares a person that is already lost, hurt and scared. But, sitting by my side, going for a walk or being in my car or on my porch, people didn't want to just come walking up to my house or to me until they asked if she was friendly. Of course she would have rather licked someone to death than bite them. I prefer a friendly happy dog as opposed to one that is only friends with my family and guardy with the rest. Too many people who are sue happy these days, someone that is welcome in your house, gets bit by your dog and you find yourself with a lawsuit.
I also have a 115lb Bernese Mtn Dog that I show, he is a huge male dog and looks ever bit the part of being a dog that could knock you down and hurt you. Sherman does not have a mean bone in his big huge body, but people question if he is a guard dog, ha he would lay down and groan to have his belly rubbed while a burgler is cleaning out the house.
Having a GSD or any big dog works just fine as a deterrent, doesn't have to be mean. Be glad your boy is friendly and want to remain that way instead of wanting to lunge and bite like some issues that are asked about on the forum
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
At his age, he should be friendly, so you got a good one!! He is still a puppy, GSDs mature slow, and his protective instincts won't come out until he is about 18 or 24 months old. As for as being a guard dog, be careful what you wish for!!! Much MUCH better to have a friendly dog that will alert bark to tell you of anything different, than a crazy aggressive dog that wants to eat everything that moves that you can't take anywhere.

For now, work on your relationship with him. Training, classes, hikes, lots of play and walks and fetch. Let him be a puppy and mature knowing that you, the owner/pack leader will be there to look out for him, protect him, and keep him safe. Take him everywhere and socialize him to all sorts of places and things and people. This way he will learn to differentiate between normal things and suspicious people and odd situations where he needs to alert you.

Just have an obedient, well-behaved German Shepherd by your side is an exellent visual deterent that will go a long way in discouraging shady characters from trying anything - without the worry of him going after someone inappropriately.

Hang around, ask questions, and share stories. Welcome to the forum!

At 9 months old you definitely don't want an overly suspicious, unfriendly dog. Heck, my Odin is 2 and will still happily greet people, but if someone knocks on the door or just seems "off" he definitely picks up on it. I did, and still do a lot of socializing with him as well as schutzhund training, and like mentioned just having a well behaved GSD is usually enough of a deterrant to people.

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Wonderful reply, must say they are all very helpful.

Please if any have there say! please do so on this subject.

thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

Hello and Welcome!

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page