Potty issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Smile Potty issue

I brought DingDing home when she was 10 weeks old. Since I knew that she couldn't hold her bladder long, I left her in my washroom during the day so that she could pee/poo on the newspaper. She learned very fast and she only goes potty in that washroom. Now she is almost 4 months old. I have started to train her house-break since last week. I walk her 4 times a day and start to crate her. Then the problem is she doesn't go potty when she is outside. I can tell she really wants to go but she holds it. Once I bring her home she pees. I go back home during the lunch time to walk her as well. If she doesn't go potty, then I have to leave her in the washroom in the afternoon because I am afraid that she will pee/poo inside the crate. How can I train her potty outside? Will she be confused where to potty if I leave her in the washroom sometimes?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM

There are probebly people on her that have different ideas for you, but I would start on the weekend and just stay outside with her untill she goes and then treat and praise her big time. Keep doing this both days, then on the week days crate her like you have and try and get her to go potty.

Now this is where someone might have a better idea. If I were you I would crate her again even if she did not go outside on your break from work. She will go a few times in the crate but will learn within a week or two that the time to go is outside. At least she is 4 months and has some control. Dogs don't like to go where they are going to lay or be so she will learn to not go in the crate and go outside. It will not be fun cleaning the crate, but with the same routine, praise, and treats she will eventually learn. Also feed her all meals in her crate for her to learn it is a good place and that dogs also don't like to go potty where they eat.

*We are in the process of potty training our puppy.I don't want to jinx us but just the last three days she has not gone in her crate! We used the method above. She went in the crate and it wasn't fun cleaning her and the crate everyday but it makes you so proud and happy when she learns.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning her and the crate always make me exhausted especially she is long-haired GSD. I took DingDing to see the vet twice for normal checkup and she threw up inside the crate twice. I definitely know cleaning her is not fun.Thanks for your advice. I will take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page