Lay/Down - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Lay/Down

Hey guys getting my pup in around 2 weeks. I don't have any worries about teaching my GSD most things, except for down, or to lay down. I taught my sister's Jack Russel to shake with both hands, to sit, to drop (items) etc, but nobody ever taught it to lay down. I an unsure on a good way to do this.

Anybody have an effective method? Having him sit will be fine, but how do I teach him to drop down again?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
to teach down from a sit: have a treat in your hand, start at his nose letting him smell it. I put the treat between my thumb and flat hand so I have a flat hand with palm facing down, this will become your hand signal. start at his nose and slowly push your hand to the floor, this should cause him to lay down, as soon as his elbows hit the ground mark it either with a verbal "yes" or a clicker (personally I like the clicker better because the sound is more constistant, but I use both a verbal and the clicker because sometimes I don't always have my clicker with me). if he seems confused break it down click and reward for him looking down, click and reward for his head moving down, click and reward for him moving a foot out, etc etc etc. when he understands what you want start adding a verbal command ( I like one worded commands easier to say and I can make them more commanding). tell him down then lure him down click/mark and treat when elbows hit floor, eventually you'll be able to fade out the luring and just tell him 'down' with the hand signal and he'll do it.

down from a stand: same concept as above

good luck!!!

after my dog understood down I just showed him a flat hand with palm facing down without moving it and he downed.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

I strongly STRONGLY recommend getting into a puppy class. Puppy classes are great for socialization, teaching your pup to listen and pay attention to you in distracting situations, and learning new training techniques that might have evolved and gotten better since the last time you trained a dog. Every time I take a class I find that the dog learns so much more than I could have taught him on my own, and I learn even more than he did!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCluver33 View Post
to teach down from a sit: have a treat in your hand, start at his nose letting him smell it. I put the treat between my thumb and flat hand so I have a flat hand with palm facing down, this will become your hand signal. start at his nose and slowly push your hand to the floor, this should cause him to lay down, as soon as his elbows hit the ground mark it either with a verbal "yes" or a clicker (personally I like the clicker better because the sound is more constistant, but I use both a verbal and the clicker because sometimes I don't always have my clicker with me). if he seems confused break it down click and reward for him looking down, click and reward for his head moving down, click and reward for him moving a foot out, etc etc etc. when he understands what you want start adding a verbal command ( I like one worded commands easier to say and I can make them more commanding). tell him down then lure him down click/mark and treat when elbows hit floor, eventually you'll be able to fade out the luring and just tell him 'down' with the hand signal and he'll do it.

down from a stand: same concept as above

good luck!!!

after my dog understood down I just showed him a flat hand with palm facing down without moving it and he downed.
Just ran across this thread again. I never said it but I've always used this method since seeing you post it here. It works wonders.

Blue, GSD-mix, b.1999 - d.2012

Lanee, GSD, b.2011

Rogan, GSD, b.2014
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

since this was brought up, if you plan to compete with the dog in obedience, most will suggest that you not train a dog to "down" from a sit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:00 PM

The way I did it - which is likely not the "right" way - was I showed her I had treats... then I had her stay and I lifted her front legs slightly and laid her down on her belly as I said "down" and gave her a treat. It took 3 times and she got it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

Dependent on the music being played in the house...the dog can really get down and stay down...if Atomic Dog by George Clinton P Funk is playing...the dog owns the floor.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page