Should I start over?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Should I start over??

Hello guys! This is my 2nd post on these forums! Well I have my 2 month old sience 1 week, and after the third day I started clicker training him (sit, and down). Everything was going well intel I started training too much! It seems like I lost all his motivation ! I feel like I ruined everything. I would let him sit (or down) before he leaves the house, before he eats, and ect. He only have food drive no toy drive. I guess I should first start working on his toy drive first? I have been following this website How to Create a Motivating Toy ,but he does not even care if I'm jumping around playing by myself. Then when he bites me I try giving him a toy in place, but he refuses them all. Today I will trying to ignore him, and keep on playing by myself. It seems like the more I try to get him to play, the more he ignores me. He goes away and find something better to play with (cat, piece of paper, and ect.). I wonder if it his age, or if I'm just that borring. Any good ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Hello! First congrats on your new puppy! From what a recall from my first week with my girl, she spent most of that time just exploring her new home and sleeping. I didn't even try to engage her. I would give him more time to adjust to his surroundings before the real serious training starts. The substituting a toy for your flesh will work eventually, took me a while. I'm sure that someone much more knowledgable will help you out here. One more thing, I do recall reading that you must not let a new puppy think that he is the center of the universe, thus creating an alpha dog. Best of luck to you
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

With a puppy this young, 30 seconds to a minute of "training" two or three times a day is more than enough. They have such a short attention span, you can burn them out by asking too much too soon.

Give her a break, let her be a puppy, build up her confidence by letting her know that she is perfect just the way she is!

Put the clicker away for now as she seems to have developed a negative association with it, and let her just have fun.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

your pup is 8 weeks old. you might be doing
to much to soon. i got my pup at 9 weeks old.
he was in puppy class at 10 weeks old. i didn't really
training him untill he was 4 months old. he was house broken,
knew his name, don't snatch (food when hand fed)
and maybe come. all of the other commands, hand signals,
find it, get the mail, go to Rosie (send him to my GF),
wait, ride in the car, don't exit the car without a command
and much more started at 4 months old.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'm so putting the clicker away for now I will put it away for a while, and I will bring it out again for 30 seconds at a time, and little by little build up to minutes like Castlemaid said. I am just dedicate my time to play right now which seems to be the most important thing. I allmost house broken him, in a week I was able to get him to understand to pee outside. He only pees inside when I'm out more than an hour because he can not hold! I can't believe how smart GSD are!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page