Vehicle Chasing... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Vehicle Chasing...

This is a new behavior for my high energy Shepherd girl. When out on walks, she has (on two occasions recently) tried to chase passing school buses and semi-trucks. Nope, she doesn't bother with cars or pickups - just large vehicles. Granted, it's been hard to wear off some of her rambunctiousness outside with 2+ feet of snow on the ground. How do I convince her that "bigger isn't always better"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Knighted Member

How far does she chase them? Does she run into the street?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

She's on a 6 foot leash on our walks and just does a quick lunge after the bigger vehicles (usually almost knocking me off my feet). I give her a leash correction and then she comes back to my side. She usually does this at the beginning of walks when she hasn't worn off much energy yet. The look on her face tells me she thinks this is a very exciting game. The kids on the buses waving and calling to her don't help either...She loves kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Knighted Member

Please keep a firm grip on her. I would hate for her to get hit. I am sure there are some people here that can give you some advice on how to train that out of her. When I was very young we had a miniature schnauzer that used to chase cars. He used to get out of the house and would chase cars going down the street or that were coming and going in our driveway. Needless to say this was back when it was not a bad thing to let your dog roam the neighborhood. Of course he was hit and killed one day. My parents learned a hard lesson that day and the dogs we had after that we kept a closer eye on and didn't allow out without being on a leash.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Having this Girl get hit by a vehicle is exactly the scenario I'm having nightmares about; I owe her very much as she has, in the past, saved my life. I'm definitely keeping a firm grip on her and thinking about shortening leads, double collaring her, etc. on walks. Outside our fenced yard, she is never off-leash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page