help with e-collar smart dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
vat
Knighted Member

help with e-collar smart dog

Ok so Max has become e-collar smart. I know I did not start out the correct way with using 2 collars so can I fix this now? When I put the e-collar on him he behaves very well, example he has started barking at EVERYTHING! Dogs on TV are the worst. So the other day I had enough and put the collar on (mind you I do not even have to tickle him) his demeanor changes. So the next time a dog barked on TV he jumped up like he was going to bark but only barked a bit. I told him quiet which he did and then I praised good quiet.

I got across to him but of course when the collar is off its a whole different story. I almost feel like at least with the collar on I have his attention, do you know what I mean? I have had to put the collar on him when he goe sout because now if our neighbors dog is out Max will jump on the fence ( its only 4 foot high) and I fear he will go over it. With the collar I did have to give him a tickle when he jumped up on the fence. But you can see why I need to try to fix the collar smart problem.

Sorry for rambling

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I thought part of proper training is to leave the collar on our dogs all the time (not when sleeping at night) just not switched on, so they don't get collar smart.

Personally, I only use the collar for distance stuff, when I can't be right there to train. I've never had to activate the collar indoors, or use it indoors. I DO have to get up off my chair (usually on the computer or watching tv) and go to the room the dog(s) are in ASAP to tell them to quiet. And they do.

Are you in dog classes? Huge help to TRAIN our dogs while gaining the leadership role so we aren't having to use the e-collar as a crutch all the time.......much better if they are just always listening and want to obey. Rather than having to resort to MAKING them obey with the collar.

You read Lou Castle's info about training with the e-collar? LOU CASTLE - ARTICLES

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-23-2011 at 08:42 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
vat
Knighted Member

I am currently not in training but have been. I will read the link, thanks.

Valerie

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Master Member

If the dog already knows the collar then it is kind of hard. Preventing them from knowing is one thing but once they know it is another matter. At this point perhaps using a dummie collar (or two) is the answer.
If this is something that you just use normally (ie. not during trials) why can't the dog always have it on?

Art

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
vat
Knighted Member

I suppose I could leave it on. I would think eventually he will calm down and not need it.

Valerie

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

Leave it on all the time, rotate on the neck frequently so the contacts don't over-irritate the contact area.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I thought part of proper training is to leave the collar on our dogs all the time (not when sleeping at night) just not switched on, so they don't get collar smart.

Personally, I only use the collar for distance stuff, when I can't be right there to train. I've never had to activate the collar indoors, or use it indoors. I DO have to get up off my chair (usually on the computer or watching tv) and go to the room the dog(s) are in ASAP to tell them to quiet. And they do.

Are you in dog classes? Huge help to TRAIN our dogs while gaining the leadership role so we aren't having to use the e-collar as a crutch all the time.......much better if they are just always listening and want to obey. Rather than having to resort to MAKING them obey with the collar.

You read Lou Castle's info about training with the e-collar? LOU CASTLE - ARTICLES
Lou is a great and extremely knowledgeable guy. I talked to him on the phone for hours a few weeks ago. Really knows what he's talking about!

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page