Jumping on doors and a few barking issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Jumping on doors and a few barking issues

Hi Lexi is now almost 2 years old and she is the cutest puppy ever Few things I have been trying to address that seems to be a constant problem. First when we are in seperate rooms she always jumps up on the doors to peak in. I don't have nearly the same amount of problems with it as my doors do ( hundreds of deep scratches). Another problem is that when we are in my office (most of the day) she barks and charges like no other when my roommates cat walks by the screen door. She also barks and whines anytime she hears the cats bells jingle. Any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Knighted Member

Hello, Mac jumps on doors too. And, he also barks at the cats and whines because they won't play with him. He also freaks out and runs back and forth whenever we're in separate rooms. The only solution I have is this gadget called a Pet Zoom. It grabs his attention and then he complies with "No" or "lay down".
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Yeah, Zeppelin jumps on the doors and opens them (we have those lever door handles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Anybody else have any ideas? Our 6 month old has started jumping on the back door in the morning (after a potty break, no he does not stay outside at night!), and it really sounds like when he gets bigger, he could break the glass! Help, help! Thanks...

Laela: 3.5 year old Aussie/Husky mix (maybe Catahoula?)

Tyr von der Sauk: GSD born 9/18/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Furkids View Post
Anybody else have any ideas? Our 6 month old has started jumping on the back door in the morning (after a potty break, no he does not stay outside at night!), and it really sounds like when he gets bigger, he could break the glass! Help, help! Thanks...
Unfortunately with these types of behavior problems the only way to fix them is to actually catch them in the act. I will give you some suggestions but need you to give me an idea of what training the dog has had as well as what methods have been used?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM

I have a similar problem with my 2 yr old. She does the door thing, but mostly when she needs to go to bathroom, but exactly the same issues with my cats bell. She hates the cat and only have the bell on to make sure she is still alive since she hides from the dog.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Furkids View Post
Akira, my 7 yr old, started doing this YEARS ago. I tried multiple techniques, verbal correction as well as correction collar and drag line, then waiting around the corner of the door. She'd jump, I'd immediately go out and correct her - tell her off, no jump - she'd do it the second I went back in the house. I spent literally years consistently trying to correct it.

Then I bought an e-collar (remote trainer) for another dog, and finally had the idea to use it on akira for the door jumping. Within DAYS she stopped and has not jumped since. At ALL. It's been probably 6 months, give or take.

Now, when she's ready to come in, she comes to the door and just sits and waits by it. I too was afraid she was going to go through the glass door. She's a 75 lb female and was hitting it like a ton of bricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page