Brining the puppy home tomorrow, just a few questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Brining the puppy home tomorrow, just a few questions

This is really just to confirm I'm doing everything right.

I have a schedule setup like this.

7am - Wake up, bring puppy outside to potty.
Play with puppy for 15 minutes
feed puppy
bring him outside to pee again
place him in the crate

9am
take puppy outside to pee
train puppy for 15 minutes
let the puppy roam around in the playpen for 30 minutes
place puppy in crate

playpen for 30
feed puppy
go outside to pee again
place puppy in crate

5pm
playpen for 30
feed puppy
go outside to pee again
place puppy in crate

8pm
playpen for 30

11:30
in crate for bed.

Now to teach him commands

Sitting:
Place a treat over his head, once he sits hit the clicker, say good job, then give him the treat.

Down
Bring the treat down to surface level until he is lying down, then hit the clicker , say goodjob then give him his treat.

Come

Have him in the sitting position, move 5 ft away, call his name and once he comes, hit clicker, say goodjob and give him his treat.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

I would do another potty break before pen time. Just for the first week or so. JMHO

Also, if you're home w/puppy, why crate him so much during the day? Why not do pen for 30 mins, then potty break, then back to the pen if you can't supervise? More potty breaks, but more free time. Also schedule in more playtime..training is important, but you need playtime too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Don't forget the puppy class!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 PM

It's great that you have a schedule, but don't count on that schedule for the first couple weeks)

I think you'll be finding you may be taking him out around 2 am and 5 am, as soon as the sun comes up, they are ready to go)

If your home, I wouldn't be crating as much as you list,,just tether him to you, or keep a close eye on him..You want to spend AS MUCH time one on one as you can to 'bond' well)

Oh, and don't expect to get much sleep the first couple of nights, altho it's not improbable)

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

For a baby pup about 5 minutes of training is all they can handle at a time. So maybe break up the 15 into 5 quick fun sessions.
I look forward to pics, exciting time for you!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

Make time to play play play--and I agree, try tethering him to you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
It's great that you have a schedule, but don't count on that schedule for the first couple weeks)

I think you'll be finding you may be taking him out around 2 am and 5 am, as soon as the sun comes up, they are ready to go)

If your home, I wouldn't be crating as much as you list,,just tether him to you, or keep a close eye on him..You want to spend AS MUCH time one on one as you can to 'bond' well)

Oh, and don't expect to get much sleep the first couple of nights, altho it's not improbable)

Good luck and let us know how it goes
This sounds strange but I always sleep with the radio on ..... and I can't hear anything.....

I do however usually wake up 2x a night to pee, so I figure when I wake up I'll take him outside and we can pee together

Since **** be whining all night I can't really use that as a gauge to determine if he has to pee or not.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I would do another potty break before pen time. Just for the first week or so. JMHO

Also, if you're home w/puppy, why crate him so much during the day? Why not do pen for 30 mins, then potty break, then back to the pen if you can't supervise? More potty breaks, but more free time. Also schedule in more playtime..training is important, but you need playtime too.
I hope I didn't read it wrong but Isn't part of crate training trying to get him comfortable with the crate by putting him in either a few hours throughout the day ?

I havve work starting at 2:30, my sister comes home at 6 so he'll be in the crate inbetween then.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Banned

when my pup came home he was out every 2 hours
over night. during the day he was out every 1/2 hour.
sometimes he to go in between his schedule.
i didn't start training my pup untill he was 4 months old.
my boy was in a puppy class at 10 weeks old.
before 4 months old my dog was house broken, he knew
his name, come and he was highly socialized. at 4 months old
the training began.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM

There's no such thing as a set schedule when it comes to a new puppy. You will have to adjust to their needs. Cedar woke me up every 2-3 hours at night when we first brought her home. Plus we had to take her outside every 30 minutes at least.

But don't overdo the crate, especially at first. In fact, try not to lock her in it at first, let her explore it on her own so that she feels comfortable in it.

Don't worry about the training at first. For the first few days, the only thing you really need to do is play with the puppy, take it outside and let it sleep. You want to bond with the puppy and make it feel comfortable in it's new surroundings. For the first few days, I really think training is pointless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page