Advice on teaching dogs to Swim! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
CPH

Smile Advice on teaching dogs to Swim!

Looking for advice on teaching dogs to swim. We have a cabin on a lake so this summer our now 10 month old GSD will be spending a lot of time up there and we really want to teach him to swim. The last time he had an opportunity to swim was when he was only about 4-5 months and he would walk in to his chest in the water for the stick but wouldn't go deeper.

Any advice would be very very helpful.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

I don't think you need to worry about teaching him to swim. It's pretty much an instinct with many animals. You might just want to find something that gives him more incentive to go into the deeper parts where he isn't just wading.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknload View Post
I don't think you need to worry about teaching him to swim. It's pretty much an instinct with many animals. You might just want to find something that gives him more incentive to go into the deeper parts where he isn't just wading.
YES! Like JUMP IN YOURSELF!!!

~*Nicole*~
Ruby~ Black&Tan GSD (8/15/09)
Max~(BA in C.L.A.S.S.) Bi-Color GSD (4/22/10)
Odysseus Von Rivera-Polizeieckzahn~ Belgian Malinois & Dutch Shepherd (1/02/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Throw ball in water just out of reach.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Elite Member

Some dogs like to swim more than others. My lab will not swim, at all. Try getting him nice and hot and then go in together. Stay close to shore and let him go at his own pace for comfort. He should get it, most GSD like to swim.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Throw ball in water just out of reach.
A word of advice - if the dog really doesn't want to swim, or isn't REALLY ball motivated, be prepared to sacrafice your ball to the lake unless you swim out after it.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Master Member

Step 1: Load your pup in the boat and steer towards deep water.

Step 2: Once in deep water, pick up your pup and toss him in.

Step 3: He swims back to the boat.

Step 4: Lots of praise and treats!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
CPH

Thanks so much for the advice!! He is VERY ball motivated so I'm hoping that will work.

I have heard mixed things on throwing them in though, some people say go for it others say you can scar them from the water by doing that.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Knighted Member

Jake's first time was with a friend and a lab pup that is the same age....he was so into playing and biting her last summer that he just went right in after her and next thing he knew he was swimming. The lab puppy was of course retrieving a water toy......

Fast forward to know at one yrs old....I have to spell S W I M because if I say it or he sees any other the water toys he goes CRAZY! I have another friend who's GSD only will get in chest deep.....so it really does depend on the dog. I keep Jake on a really long ski rope line and probably will this Spring because he isn't the best fetcher..(sigh)

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Thanks so much for the advice!! He is VERY ball motivated so I'm hoping that will work.

I have heard mixed things on throwing them in though, some people say go for it others say you can scar them from the water by doing that.
It worked for my Akira....she is ball OBSCESSED. The dog will do anything for a ball, 24/7. She used to only wade in water but I finally started using a jolly ball in a small pond, then worked our way up to bigger lakes, and now she loves water and runs right in to swim, but still prefers fetch. I typically use sticks now though, whatever I can find near the swimming spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page