What to know about City Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

What to know about City Dogs

Greetings everyone:

This is my first post on the forums. I recently had an offer accepted on a house in Albany, NY. Honestly one of the primary reasons I wanted my own home was to have a German Shepherd Dog. My parents have 2 GSDs Bella(F) and Scout(M) that I have helped raise and done my best to train in good manners. My parents also breed German Shepherds and its been my dream to own one of Bella and Scouts puppies . Unfortunately this week with all the great things happening I was informed by my parents that after a visit to the vet what they thought was Bella going into heat could actually be the signs of pyometra. It is quite possible that she will never have another litter. I am fine with that as we know plenty of reputable breeders with great dogs but I preferred having one of Bella and Scouts dogs. Regardless of the source I intend to get my own german shepherd.

Anyway the one difference between my previous dealings with german shepherds is that I will be keeping and training this dog in a City environment. The house has a decent sized fenced yard and is in a very walkable neighborhood near two parks. I was wondering if anyone in the forum might be able to offer any advice on what I should be aware of with regards to owning a german shepherd in a city. I intend to enroll the puppy in obedience classes and training but would be open to any advice or suggestions as to how I can raise the future puppy into a German Shepherd to be proud of while still living in a city environment.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

I think whether you live in a city or in the country you should do the same thing to raise a well trained stable dog.

Socialization is huge.

Have you found a new breeder yet? here is a good read https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-breeder.html

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

GSD's can live in the city, country, suburbs, etc.
you have to train and socialize them but that's with any dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs spend 8-12 hrs a day in my car. I'm sure sure the city will be fine

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Crowned Member

I live in the middle of the city - in a highrise apartment building - next to an expressway - across the street from the largest mall in the city - next to the bus terminal.

Extra socialization all the time!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on the puppy search. As others have said GSDs are versatile they can be in the country, city just about anywhere.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Knighted Member

Congrats on buying your home. Thats very exciting. Good luck on your search for your puppy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Crowned Member

The main advice I have is socialize, socialize, socialize! A properly socialized dog should be able to handle most living locations. Bianca was raised in a suburban/rural environment but she had no trouble adjusting to living in Chicago at 4 years old (except that she thinks our property extends way further than it does!)

In a city environment it is even more important to follow the early socialization guidelines. I would go with Dunbar's guideline of being handled by 100 new people by 3 months old (and this means all kinds of people- men, women, kids, seniors, people in wheelchairs, tall/short/young/old/light/dark/hairy/bald/loud/oddly-dressed people, etc... These all need to be positive interactions. It is also important for socialization to acclimate puppies to various locations and substrates.
In a city you should have no trouble finding puppy kindergarten classes and I'd definitely enroll in those early (you may even want to sign up to save a spot before your puppy comes home, sometimes these classes fill up fast.)

There are books out there about urban/city dogs. I've read a few but IIRC I liked "Urban Dog: The Ultimate Street Smarts Training Manual" by Cis Frankel the best. I didn't necessarily agree with all her training methods but the ideas on what dogs should know and on socialization were pretty good.

Here's a good article by Dr Dunbar:
Bay Woof: News With Bite

And a good site with critical socialization periods:
How to socialize

another good source on socialization/development periods:
Developmental Stages

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page