How to open the fridge? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How to open the fridge?

I just taught Smokey how to close cabinets and drawers. He is a German Shepherd/husky and is 14 1/2 years old. I want to teach him to open the frigde next. I think this might prove to be a little hard he does not really and hase never played with toys or been mouthy to grab anything with his mouth. I was wondering how I could teach him that. I can to him to play with me somtimes and grab on things, but he normally lets go after I pull a little, but sometimes he will hold on while I pull a little. Will it be impossible to teach him this? Where should I start?

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Is he a service dog?

Do you really want to teach him that? I was just reading a woman's rant over on facebook whose dog knows how to open the fridge and help himself to goodies...LOL.

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

No he is not. I know he is a good boy and wouldn't take anything out of the fridge. I can leave food on the floor and he wouldnt touch it. I think it would be fun to teach him this.

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

You are very brave! No way would I teach Jax to open the fridge. She'd open it, clean it out, invite friends over and have a party!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

I know Jax..SAME HERE!! LOLOLOLOL

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

And greet me with a big "aren't you proud of me" grin on her face when I came through the door
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Lol that is funny!

Chief-GSD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Elite Member

Start by praise/click & treat for a tug on a towel. A specific towel you picked out. Hold it, get him to tug, treat. Use a command, maybe "tug." Start waiting til he tugs harder to treat. When he gets that down, tie that towel to the fridge handle and give the command. I am not sure if he'll tug hard enough to open it, but that's how I'd train it.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I can't use a clicker he is scared of it, but I gave it a try playing with him and giving in treats anytime he even touched it. He is now constantly grabing the rope with his mouth. No pulling yet, but we will be wonking on what he just did for awhile, but I think that is great progress for only 5 minutes. I think we are well on our way.

Chief-GSD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

You don't have to use a clicker. You can use Yes! as a marker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page