HELP!! He chews my walls! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Angry HELP!! He chews my walls!

Titan is a year old 90 lb GSD. He loves nothing more than to chew my walls when I am not home. I'm not sure how to get him to stop doing this without restricting him to a kennel all day, 8 hrs, while I am at work. He chews the wood on my stairs and rips the wall paper of the walls. He has recently started chewing the dry wall after the wall paper is off. I've punished him, I've covered it up with something, I've sprayed this "OFF!!" spray on it that I got from a pet store. So far nothing works, and while I would love to just redo everything, I am renting in Germany and can't. The landlords are having a cow! Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM

My pup - 10 months old, is in his crate for about 8 hours a day. We walk in the morning and again in the evening, plus other exercise.

Sometimes, like today, when i work from home, and on the weekends its less, but what can you do?

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]-Heather

Whitman ARCH, RL1X, RL1 (AOE), RL2 (AOE), CL1, CL2, CL3 3/01/2010 GSDx
George 3/01/2008 Orange Tabby DSH cat
Sofia 3/01/2008 Black DSH cat
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

He needs to be crated.

What if he starts eating something else and he gets something stuck in his throat and chokes on it, what if he chews on something toxic and it kills him? For his safety and for the safety of your house, he needs to be in a crate when you are not home.

My GSD chewed the walls when I was gone for 4 hours. He is in his crate anywhere from 2-8 hours. He loves his crate.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

Crate him. Which is more cruel: keeping him in a kennel, or having him die from ingesting some poisonous or hazardous part of your house?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well sounds like so far crating him is my only option. I crated him for a while but with him being my first dog, I wasn't sure if that was wrong of me.. which I'm glad that it's not because life was much better that way, no chewed up house, no yelling or getting angry, and definitely no sick pup from ingesting something, which hasn't happened yet, thank goodness..
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Knighted Member

I think even though you don't want to crate you should. I know there are other members here who crate for that long. I know you will worry that he is in the crate for too long, but you can't have him tearing your whole house apart either. Since he is older he can be in a crate for 8 hrs. and be just fine. If you absolutely don't want to do a crate then choose a room and double baby gate/close the door to keep him only in one room. Give him a kong with treats and frozen peanut butter in it, lots of chew toys. If you can leave a radio on or tv on for noise for him that sometimes helps. I would not recommend the radio/tv be in the same room with him if he is loose though. I think crating is your best option though.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I agree, crate him.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

Crate him. Some dogs can be safely left loose at an early age and some dogs can never be left loose and are crated through old age.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Titan is a year old 90 lb GSD. He loves nothing more than to chew my walls when I am not home. I'm not sure how to get him to stop doing this without restricting him to a kennel all day, 8 hrs, while I am at work. He chews the wood on my stairs and rips the wall paper of the walls. He has recently started chewing the dry wall after the wall paper is off. I've punished him, I've covered it up with something, I've sprayed this "OFF!!" spray on it that I got from a pet store. So far nothing works, and while I would love to just redo everything, I am renting in Germany and can't. The landlords are having a cow! Help please!!!
My female is 15 months. She is not allowed free roam. If she is not under supervision she is kenneled. So should yours. He can't handle freedom right now. My dogs can deal with 12 hours of kennel if required. If I know I'm going to have a >8 hour day the go with me but are confined to my FJ like this:

This way I can let them out at lunch. Of course this isn't possible for most people.

Punishing is just hurting your relationship. He doesn't have any clue why you are punishing him. If you're bent on not kenneling him, get some bitter apple spray, and soak a cotton ball with it. Put it in his mouth and hold his muzzle shut for 2-3 minutes. He will hate it. It will be unpleasant. It will imprint in his mind how nasty that taste is. Then you can just lightly spray whatever he is damaging or you don't want damaged. Without the imprinting the spray is mostly worthless. I have two dogs trained this way and neither has ever caused any damage in my house at all
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Awesome advice.. thank you everyone I really appreciate the speedy responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page