How do I: Speak? Bark on command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

How do I: Speak? Bark on command?

I wan to teach my 6.5 month gsd , Preston, to bark on command. He is very smart and catches on very quickly to anything I teach him. I just dont know how to go about this.

He barks often when he sees or hears something when he is outside, (Almost to often)...I dont want to reward this behavior and pair it with a word because I am worried that will make him think I want him to bark all the time. (Which I don't! lol) "When I bark I get a treat.. okay!...Woof woof!" lol.

I can't get him to bark when I tease a treat/toy.
So I dont know how to teach this without enforcing wrong behavior..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mrs. K said this----
Indicator "Barking" Question
So I am trying to teach Indra to bark as indication but if there is one thing I suck at it is to get my dogs to speak. The only way to get them to bark is when I knock on the wall or the table because they think somebody is at the door. I've tried everything. From Food to howling & barking videos. It just doesn't work.

If I reward her for the barking once I knock on the table wouldn't I reward the behavior to bark at the door instead of the bark itself?

Does that make sense? ----

This is exactly what I mean.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Elite Member

You could frustrate him. Here's what I mean: I taught my dog by holding a toy up so he can't get to it and teasing him with it. Eventually, simply out of pure frustration he'd bark once. I immediately gave him the toy, played for a little while, then had him out it and do it again. I did about 3 times before he started to bark as soon as I started to tease him. Then I attached the command. So at this point I held the toy up like before and say "bark" once. He'll bark and I'd give him the toy. Rinse and repeat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

i taught my last GSD to bark. i would have my dog sit.
i sit in front of him (face to face). while holding a treat
i would bark and i would say "bark" to my dog. once he
barked i would treat him. i did this over and over untill he barked.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
barked i would treat him. i did this over and over until he barked.

Ha ha this is how I taught molly!!!! Once she caught on I would repeat bark bark bark to have her bark a few times in a row then threw in a quiet command. This work great because I not only taught here to speak but taught her quiet!

Just use a tonne of valuable treats!

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Right or wrong I taught Retta and Rex to bark by using the door knock as stimulus. It didn't take many repetitions before they caught on and would speak on command or with a simple hand gesture. It was the first "trick" I taught Retta beyond basic obedience. Rex caught on extremely quickly and it was funny because his real bark was a deep "I mean business" kind of bark. His speak bark was high pitched and kind of girlie.

We've had no success teaching this to Rennie. We've tried everything including the door knock, trying to frustrate her into barking, even trying to get her to mimic us. She licks her lips when we do any of these things so we joke that we can make her lick her lips on command.

I haven't tried teaching Ridley to speak yet but I'm hopeful it will be pretty easy.

Sandra

Ridley 2010
Rennie 2006
Rex 2000 - 2010
Retta 1993 - 2006
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

what hand gesture do you use for speak???

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdaigle View Post
Right or wrong I taught Retta and Rex to bark by using the door knock as stimulus. It didn't take many repetitions before they caught on and would speak on command or with a simple hand gesture. It was the first "trick" I taught Retta beyond basic obedience. Rex caught on extremely quickly and it was funny because his real bark was a deep "I mean business" kind of bark. His speak bark was high pitched and kind of girlie.

We've had no success teaching this to Rennie. We've tried everything including the door knock, trying to frustrate her into barking, even trying to get her to mimic us. She licks her lips when we do any of these things so we joke that we can make her lick her lips on command.

I haven't tried teaching Ridley to speak yet but I'm hopeful it will be pretty easy.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
barked i would treat him. i did this over and over untill he barked.
This is how I taught all my dogs, and my kid's dogs to speak on command. They all had it mastered as young pups. I have been doing this with Wolfie since we had him, and for the life of me, I can't get him to speak on command.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
what hand gesture do you use for speak???
Index finger pointing up. I have no idea why we used that but we started it 18 years ago!

Sandra

Ridley 2010
Rennie 2006
Rex 2000 - 2010
Retta 1993 - 2006
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I will put it all to work in a little bit! : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page