Scoot back legs under and into a sit rather than rock back - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Scoot back legs under and into a sit rather than rock back

Hello,

I am training my 12 month old GSD in SchH and I need advice on getting a faster sit out of him.

He's gotten used to rocking back into the sit, but I'd like him to instead scoot his back legs forward into the sit. For those that do competitive obedience - hopefully you know why it's such an important difference. For everyone else - I'd like to do it so that he has a faster and straighter sit. When a dog rocks back into the sit it's usually slower and less precise.

The question is: is there a way to change this behavior? It's been reinforced since he was 8 weeks old so it's a pretty ingrained behavior. Has anyone encounter a similar problem and if so, how were you able to overcome it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Hello all,

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm having similar problems and would appreciate any advice.

I have an 18 month old, white GSD. We rehomed him when he was 9mo, and although he knew sit and come, he new little else. He now knows sit, down, flat, come, stay, catch etc..

Now my problem...

Although he knows the actions, his reaction times are poor/appalling. He will do as he is asked but I'm sure I've seen quicker tortoises react. He'll sit but slowly. Lie but do it slowly etc etc. He shows no sense of urgency. If he was human I'd be asking what kind of illicit substance he was smoking!

Once in the position he'll hold it for 10 seconds or so, and then "relax" by slouching if in the sit, or lying on his side if in the down.

I'd really appreciate any help here in retraining ideas.

I've got a Cavalier KC pup thats about 3 months old, and have no problems with him. He couldn't be happier to perform and please. I just wish Sam would follow the pups lead!

Thoughts and advice will be very much appreciated,

Thanks,

John
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdSam View Post
Although he knows the actions, his reaction times are poor/appalling. He will do as he is asked but I'm sure I've seen quicker tortoises react. He'll sit but slowly. Lie but do it slowly etc etc. He shows no sense of urgency. If he was human I'd be asking what kind of illicit substance he was smoking!
Are you using treats at all? If so it might as simple as offering him something better than what he's already getting. A piece of chicken or cheese instead of dry kibble, that kind of thing.
You can also try training when the dog is hungry rather than right after he's eaten.
Another way would be to give the commands in a series, sit, down, stand, sit, and then treat at the end. (the anticipation should speed him up)

If you use toys find one toy that he loves an only use it for training. If you aren't training the toy is out of sight.

If you use praise get him ramped up, make it seem like a game and stay animated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry, I was answering the first question. You should start a new thread.

My dogs are slow when they are not sure what I want. Clicker training with treats is a good way to get great results.

Last edited by BlackPuppy; 02-18-2011 at 11:30 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks Whiteshepherds,

I'll try out your advice and let you know how it goes. We don't show him, so even if he never gets it I'll still love him! It would just be nice to see him react how my other dogs have done in the past.

Thanks again,

John
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Master Member

Ayo,

I would use a riding crop for this. The idea being that the dog learns to quickly move their butt foward into a sit, thus avoiding the crop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

riding crop? I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the tip!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Master Member

Give it a try. The riding crop is an incredibley useful and versatile tool.

Art

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

Leerburg Streaming Video
Drive building exercises will help maybe?
Leerburg | Streaming Video

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
Give it a try. The riding crop is an incredibley useful and versatile tool.

Agreed. Gabor's been using it for years. Works well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page