Jumping, jumping, jumping...! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Jumping, jumping, jumping...!

He just won't stop! Spencer will be one year old in april, and he's everything I've ever wanted in a dog. But the jumping! He jumps when he meets new people, when he knows we have treats, even when he's frustrated/on leash and knows he can't get something. He'll jump on strangers, guests, people he knows, even myself! He'll hop straight up and lick your face! I'd swear he's part rabbit!

But I need it to stop. I have been TRYING the turn around/ignore method, but we've been doing this for MONTHS and there has been little or no turn around. Once we ignore him he decides it's a good idea to look at something else or to walk around us and try to hop again! Sometimes it happens so fast you can't react. It's just a big ol' game to him. We're trying to curb his incredible excitement when it comes to greeting guests, the whole 'no attention until all 4 paws are on the ground' thing, but I need some new ideas to kick this habit in the butt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Since he's a year old and nothing has worked, you might try a prong collar and when he jumps up, give a quick tug and say 'off' or whatever you command you want and the instant his feet touch the ground give lots of praise. If you decide to use a prong collar, make sure it's fitted correctly and you don't overuse it--just a quick tug and release. It will definitely get his attention. For info on how to use one, go to leerburg.com.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Banned

I will get jumped on for this but I used the knee in the chest to break my dog. I know, I know ... it is frowned upon but it worked for me. I didn't do it hard but when she came up so did my knee. I timed it so she couldn't see it and it wasn't hard just uncomfortable. With my previous dog I slapped my chest and encouraged her to jump like it was a game for me, but the knee came up and she decided she didn't like that game anymore. After all, she's just a dog and if she can be rude, so can I. She learned fast and nobody was hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page