To poo and pee in one spot. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

To poo and pee in one spot.

How do i teach Samson to go poo and pee always in the same area? Samson is 14 weeks today. And I have a problem. We have set up a big sand box for him (8'x8') for him to go poo and pee in. He is still under crate training. So ill take him out of his crate and walk him to his box (off leash) and he will goo poo and pee. After that I let him play for 15 min and he will poo again sometime even twice. I donít understand why he does that. We have been doing this box thing for over a month and he still goes poo in other places. I would like to be able to leave him outside now and trust him that he will go to the bathroom in his box. But itís just not working he only uses it when I walk with him over there. I hope someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Are you cleaning his area regularly? Dogs like to poo in a clean spot. I trained Wolfie to go in one area, similar to the size of yours. I make sure to pick up the poop right away.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

wolfies mom is right on. they can be particular about going in the same spot over and over. my older mix Mandi is crazy picky. she needs like 2 dang miles to find the "perfect" spot. then she spins in circles about 4 times getting into position LOL...crazy dawgs

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Knighted Member

We trained Molly to do her business at a particular spot but it took a long time(months) . We had her on the leash at all times to go potty we would bring her to the specific spot and wait until she did her thing . Once done we would release her and praise.

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Master Member

Bring her directly to the spot right out of her crate or house when you know she needs to go. While she's going,repeat some command over and over during the process. Being from Boston we've used "New York Yankees". It eventually becomes a trigger so you can control where and when she eliminates no matter where you are. We have a wooded spot beside the yard we use and our present GSD always looks for woods now no matter where we are when we say "New York Yankees". It will take 75-100 repetitions,about 3 weeks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 PM

I taught Sirius to go in his designated area to do his business....From the beginning of his potty/house training after each time he drank, played for 15 minutes, eating, or waking up I always took him out on a leash to his spot. When he went I praised him highly.

When he was outside, I went out with him and watched for the sign(s) that he was looking for a spot to go (i.e., sniffing in circles, etc). The moment he demonstrated that behavior I would grab his leash (his leash was always on) and walk him to his spot saying, "lets go potty"...When he went, more praise.

Repetition is the key factor. After a 1.5 weeks it clicked for him that when he is in the backyard he has to go to his special spot to go (and not on the grass or deck). It's kind of cool to see him just stop in the middle of playing and run to the other side of the property to go then run back and resume his playing.

Just keep on taking him to his spot, monitor for the signs when outside and provide plenty of praise and it will eventually click for Samson

Cali
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

this is exactly what i want to happen and this is what i do but ive been doing it over a month and still have accidents it really hasnt clicked in him yet
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510samson View Post
this is exactly what i want to happen and this is what i do but ive been doing it over a month and still have accidents it really hasnt clicked in him yet
Consistency,4 or 5 times a day repeating the command over and over while he pees and poops,then praise or a treat. If you don't do it each and every time you set him up to fail. We took our pups out every 30-45 minutes when awake and it took about 3 weeks for 1 and 2 weeks for the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page