How do I train myself to relax more - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

How do I train myself to relax more

The problem is not with my dog, I know that. She is only 9 weeks old, going on 10 shortly ... and I get so frustrated with her I give myself headaches.

I know that she's young, and she's just a pup ... but she'll whine like crazy for no reason sometimes, even outside of her crate. She will also know how to sit today, and do it religiously 30 times ... yet the next day she looks at me like I'm retarded.

I have a baby gate between the den/kitchen/living room area and the rest of the house for the sake of our pet cats. Sometimes I leave the common area to go to my office and she jumps and whines and screams like she's being murdered.

I've followed all the rules. Ignore Ignore Ignore and it will go away ... I'm just wondering how long it will take. I get so frustrated that I don't even want to have her around me sometimes ... and thats not good.

Right now its too cold to go on long walks. I can take her for about 10 minutes ... since its -40. I have no chance to get rid of the excess energy because she has to stay inside.

I guess I'm just looking for some tips, tricks, and encouragement. I know the puppy phase won't last forever, I just need to keep trying my hardest to get through it.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

--Tyler

ATTICUS - Black & Tan GSD - Born Nov 8, 2010
ATHENA - Black & Tan GSD - Born May 30, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Remind yourself that everything you're going through is NORMAL. Deep, cleansing breaths.

Also, just because you can't go outside doesn't mean you can't wear her little puppy butt out. This thread has a lot of ideas for keeping a pup busy when it's nasty outside:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-week-old.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

Count yourself lucky! Some of us here wish we were in your shoes

Remember that you need to physically and mentally tire her out. So training her to sit while throwing a ball down a hallway=perfect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

She has so much energy it is very difficult to tire her out without going outdoors.

Oh, and the biting thing. Is it really that normal for these puppys to greet everything with their mouths? Right now she bites everything, hands, shoes, metal chair legs, rugs, toys (seemingly less than everything else) garbage cans, towels ... And she's only 9 weeks but is incredibly strong already. I've read not to swat the nose, not to hit. But sometimes its just a knee jerk reaction to swat away the bite.

What are the negative affects of the swat ... because I'm guilty of doing it from time to time, especially when she really gets a hold of me

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Deathmetal is right. A tired pup is a happy pup (and owner!). Teach her puppy pushups. (sit, down, sit, down, sit down) Wears them out really fast and it's fun too!

Owned by:
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Is it really that normal for these puppys to greet everything with their mouths?
Yes. It's really that normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
What are the negative affects of the swat ... because I'm guilty of doing it from time to time, especially when she really gets a hold of me
The biggie is head-shyness, being afraid of having her head come near your hand, or your hand coming near her head. You can train a "knee-jerk reaction" where she'll automatically pull her head away when you reach for her.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Wow I needed to read this thread. I was just allowing myself to daydream about getting another puppy...

Good advice above^^. I just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that it is normal, frustrating, exhausting at times, but totally WORTH IT!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10 View Post
I just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that it is normal, frustrating, exhausting at times, but totally WORTH IT!
I think this is the stuff that I totally needed to hear ... I just lose focus on what it is I'm doing ... and find myself asking if it is worth it.

I know it will be ... I've wanted a dog forever, I'm a dog person ... I just see red sometimes dealing with the frustration.

Thanks guys! (and gals of course)

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10 View Post
Wow I needed to read this thread. I was just allowing myself to daydream about getting another puppy...

Good advice above^^. I just wanted to wish you luck and tell you that it is normal, frustrating, exhausting at times, but totally WORTH IT!

So true, Underline exhausting !!! It will get worse before it gets better.
But it WILL be worth it. Just remember YOU are the human and you are ultimately in control. But we have all learned that fatigue and frustration take their toll. Hang in there and read all the other puppy-related threads to see that you have a LOT of company.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

You are definitely not alone, and it will get loads better. Of course you'll have a whole new set of annoying behaviors to work through, but at least it will be a change.

Good luck, I know how mad I used to get and sometimes it's best just to give yourself a time-out. And chocolate. Or wine. Beer works too.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page