How to stop her from jumping ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

How to stop her from jumping ...

Pepper ( almost 8 mths) gets super excited whenever there is somebody at the door. She tends to greet people by wagging her tail vigorously and jumping on them. It gets really hard to control her at that time....nothing seems to work. And its not always possible to tell the guests to ignore her or turn their back on her. I need ideas on what to do. Should I consider a prong collar inside the house (She's never had one before!)? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Master Member

How much obedience does this dog know?
Do you own a crate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: HCT, CGC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Yes...she knows all the basic obedience commands..

We have gone to 2 obedience classes sessions and had a trainer as well. She is generally very well behaved and listens to me...except for the jumping. I think she just gets too excited whenever somebody new comes into the house and can't control herself. She is crate trained as well. Nothing is working to stop the jumping however....looking for new ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

You can get a mat and have her go to her mat when people come in. Use treats to condition her to go to it, maybe get a friend or neighbor to help once she understands the exercise. Target Training Your Dog: Go to Your Mat | The Bark

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Knighted Member

Teaching her the "place" command to go to her mat when someone knocks is a good idea. First teach the command by treating her for touching the mat, then getting on the mat, then going to the mat and laying down. I used a clicker for this. After she has that command down pretty well, start with a friend to work with to be the person at the door. You may have to repeat a lot so be ready to repay your friend with some good cookies or whatever they like. Until she gets this down I would answer the door with her on a leash or crated first. I still crate Pyrate when people first come in if they aren't dog people (those people sadly do exist) and let him out after he has listened to us talk for awhile so he will be very calm with them. Raina is not allowed to answer the door due to space problems. My house is very small.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

She does know the place command....I didn't think to do it when the doorbell rings. She's not very good with it as yet though and gets distracted very easily. So, yes, I think we will need to practice a lot. Thanks...I'm going to start on that right away.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchika View Post
She does know the place command....I didn't think to do it when the doorbell rings. She's not very good with it as yet though and gets distracted very easily. So, yes, I think we will need to practice a lot. Thanks...I'm going to start on that right away.
If she already has a start on the place command it will come easier. I cemented it with really good treats that are only found on the mat. It was really fun when I got the part where I could send Raina to place from 20 feet away. And, yes at this age she will be distracted easily so that means practicing in more places.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page