Teaching "stay untill called" questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Teaching "stay untill called" questions

Im teaching my 12 week GSD to sit, and stay untill called with "come" he does really well and will stay for about 30-45 seconds, but at that point he gets ancy, of tired of "staying" and starts protesting by barking.

Now, my theory is that I will keep him at sit for about 30 seconds at a time, gradually increasing time untill i reach my desired time limit. Am I correctly teaching this? or is their an easier way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

What you are teaching is "wait" not "stay". Stay should only end when you come to your dog and touch release them. When you take an OB class they will have you do both commands. Wait = release word. Stay = touch to release

Your pup is only 12wks, 30-45 seconds is like a lifetime to him. Very good that he is lasting that long. Work with that time limit and try leaving the room, being out of sight, distractions, giving the command from a distance, etc.. then worry about building on the time.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

ahhh! thanks for the insight! Yeah, he is to start proffessional OB classes this week, and I dont want to confuse him between wait and stay, Ill start doing wait.......Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

5=10 seconds for a pup that young is fine. You can also make them wait for say 3 seconds, release, and treat, then 8 seconds, release, and treat, and then 5 seconds, release, and treat. Mix it up making him wait longer, then shorter so he stays engaged and doesn't get discouraged by being made to wait longer and longer
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

I agree- 3 seconds is all I'd expect at 12 wks. He's just a baby!! Sounds like you're doing a great job with him already
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure how they will make you do it in OB class but generally Stay means if the dog is sitting the dog stays sitting it is not to lay down or stand until you come and release him.

Wait means the dog may lay, sit, or stand as long as the dog does not move out of that general spot where it was told to wait. Usually the dog will stay in position unless the wait is for an extended period of time.

Good luck in your OB class! Is it a puppy level class? You sound like you'll be way ahead of them

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM

12 weeks is very early to working on stay for such a long period of time. Don't push too hard! You've got to keep obedience fun in order to have a good obedience dog later on down the road!

For me, I don't really teach stay as a separate command. I always teach my dogs to hold position until released or given another command- like come, down, etc. Although in truth I almost NEVER call my dog out of their position. Calling a dog out of position too many times usually means that you get a dog who is likely to break position to come to you for their reward. I always go back to my dog and release them. Are you using a release command? That's an important thing to start incorporating into your training if you haven't already.

Sounds like you'll be ahead of the general puppy class, so it'll be an excellent opportunity to work under distractions!

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Congratulations on getting your pup to sit that long! Bet you couldn't get a human toddler to sit still for 30 or 45 seconds!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
5=10 seconds for a pup that young is fine. You can also make them wait for say 3 seconds, release, and treat, then 8 seconds, release, and treat, and then 5 seconds, release, and treat. Mix it up making him wait longer, then shorter so he stays engaged and doesn't get discouraged by being made to wait longer and longer
This is good advice. Right now, I can get my pup to sit. When I give the stay command, I take a 5 or 6 steps back and he stays for about 20 seconds. Am I doing this right?

If I back up too much, he follows. Also, if I tell him to stay and I open the pantry door, he shoots in my pantry closet. How do I stop that?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
What you are teaching is "wait" not "stay". Stay should only end when you come to your dog and touch release them. When you take an OB class they will have you do both commands. Wait = release word. Stay = touch to release

Semantics. Stay is whatever you want it to be. For you it is "stay until I touch your collar". For me stay is "stay until you receive another command". Itis a personal decision how you teach this and just because he calls him out of a stay doesn't mean it's not a stay.

OP,

DDD

Duration, Distance, Distractions

You should train in that order and when you increase one of the above you reduce the other two. For example he may be able to stay for 30 seconds with you right in front of you. If you decide to walk ten steps away (distance) then reduce them amount of time he stays (duration) down to 15 seconds.

If you want to open the pantry (distractions) then have her stay right beside you for 5 seconds.

Increase slower than you think you have to. Always set him up for success. You want to set it up so the dog never breaks a stay.

Dog training in the NYC area!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page