eating waaaay too quickly! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

eating waaaay too quickly!

Hi everybody, lately, my six month old has been wolfing down her food at an ungodly pace. She gets fed twice a day totaling about 3-3.5 cups, so she's not being "starved" by any means. anyways, she just inhales it like there's no tomorrow, so i was curious if anyone knew of any little tricks or things I can do to get her to eat more slowly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

You can buy a food bowl that looks something like a Bundt cake pan- or you can use a Bundt cake pan. I've also known people to separate the food into a muffin baking tin so it takes longer to eat. Maybe you can feed her 3 times a day so she's not so starving. What kind of food are you feeding? Maybe she needs more than 3.5 c a day.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM

I agree with Stosh about the muffin pan. It slowed mine down alot. Whenever you can, do the home remedy instead of buying more stuff. hehe. Breaking it up into 3 and adding a bit more is also a good idea. If you feel it's too much food, try maybe some green beans in it. They are healthy, filling, and not very many extra calories. Good luck with your pup!

Owned by:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

oh i totally wanted to try a home remedy, rather than buying some over-priced product that doesnt really work, haha. thanks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Toss the kibble out in the yard, make her search for it, that will slow her down.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Master Member

I've seen people use the Bundt cake pan and people also throw a ball in the bowl to slow them down!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Rocky gets hiccups and sometea gas because he kills his food... Thanks for the muffin advice!

One question... Were u suggesting adding green beans to his kibble or adding them to a homemade food? Or mhbe either/or?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Master Member

I've heard of a few people who bought this bowl and it worked for them.

Welcome to brake-fast.net!

Brake Fast Slow Eating Dog Bowl

It's kind of pricey for a dog bowl though. Just a suggestion

~ Cayla

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

I bought one of those Kibble Nibble treat dispenser toys so my dog would slow down on eating. It looks like this: http://www.bestpetsuppliesguide.com/...-ball-toy1.jpg

My dog rolls it around on the ground and food dispenses slowly, so not only does he slow down on eating, he has to work for it too! There's little plastic pieces covering the holes so you can trim them so the ball will dispense the food at whatever rate you want it to. It's definitely very useful for slowing down eating, and it keeps him busy for about half an hour as well.

I've seen really heavy stainless steel balls for sale that you put in the dog bowl so your dog slows down on eating. I tried a normal ball and Chrono tossed it out of the bowl .

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Rocky gets hiccups and sometea gas because he kills his food... Thanks for the muffin advice!

One question... Were u suggesting adding green beans to his kibble or adding them to a homemade food? Or mhbe either/or?
I add green beans to their kibble. i also use them as my high value treat since Dodger will do pretty much anything for a green bean.

to the OP you can also spread the kibble out on a cookie sheet

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page