Frustrated... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Frustrated...

Okay, Kalona has been in our house for a week now. Heres a little background on her. Shes a 4 month old working line female. She has spend these 4 months in a barn with her siblings and has had people around (apparently) Anyway, I've been dropping treats, taking her everywhere. I sleep with her, feed her, give her tons of attention when she lets me. Heres my dilemma... She will literally bolt from me all the time. Last time I needed to go somewhere she couldnt go, so ran from me for 5 minutes until the poor thing got herself in a corner where she cowered in fear? I have no idea what I have done to make her so scared of me? We go on walks and she seems fine but if I try and train her or get her to focus on me at all she bolts. What in the world is going on, there has been NO improvement what-so-ever in her attitude since we brought her home. She will follow me around but if I turn around to pet her or anything she wont have anything to do with it. Then if my b/f comes over, shes all over him, tail wagging, licking his face, jumping all over him, and after he leaves, she regresses to even worse than what she was: pacing, going to the front door, whining. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM

if thats her in your avatar, she is gorgeous)

Ok, I'm assuming your a girl?? It may be she is comfortable with your b/f because he is male and that she has spent her first 4 months with a male caretaker..

Following you around is a GOOD thing taking her on walks = GOOD THING, I think you most likely are going to have to give it more time..

Some things I would do, is obviously if she bolts from you, don't go after her, let her go..sit ON the floor with her ALOT, toss the treats, try to engage her in some play, affection,,etc..get down to her level.. Never use a harsh voice with her, keep everything low key and a happy tone. No fast moves.

I would also start hand feeding her , her meals. this can help with 'bonding'..

To me, it sounds like she just hasn't been around a woman , is more comfortable with a man, but give it time, while she's afraid, I don't think I'd take it personally, hopefully she'll come around (which it sounds like she is, following you, sleeping with you, etc) it's just gonna take some time

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

I'm certainly no expert, but maybe the training is too much for her at this point. If she's fine with you otherwise, I wouldn't do anything more for a few weeks until she's more comfortable. You might want to try tethering her to you--tie a leash to your belt loop and have her with you all the time without giving her any commands, just following you everywhere. When you're working on the computer or something, just have her lie down with something to chew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

The thing that blows my mind is that her breeder was a woman. And this litter was not her first...Its so funny, because I bought her some toys and if I try and play with her she wont have anything to do with them, but if I go into the other room, she's all about them and will lay there and squeek on them all by her lonesome

I HAVE to share these pics of her the other night with my bf and his GSD, Kaiser.

How pathetic is this one???!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but maybe the training is too much for her at this point. If she's fine with you otherwise, I wouldn't do anything more for a few weeks until she's more comfortable. You might want to try tethering her to you--tie a leash to your belt loop and have her with you all the time without giving her any commands, just following you everywhere. When you're working on the computer or something, just have her lie down with something to chew.
I hadnt thought about that, i'll try that too... by the way, the dog in your avatar is beautiful!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
vat
Knighted Member

Oh she is way to cute! Well I know the age difference is allot but...I brought home a 7yr old retired female from my breeder. She is the sweetest, would follow me and pretty much the same story you tell. I found that if I tried training she would run to the other room like she was scared. Same with playing, would not play with me but would play with our male and on her own.

Now fast forward, she has been here since early Oct and has learned some obedience and now plays. She just needed time to adjust to her new home and people. I would follow Jakoda's advice and just sit with her and some treats. Give up the training for now and give her some time. I see you have another dog, playing with that dog will peak her interest as well. I am willing to bet in a month you will see a different dog in her.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

That's odd that she acts the way she does - It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, not sure why she would act this way. At first, there were possible scenarios that went through my mind: raised in a barn = unsocialized. But then she is all over your boyfriend, so she did get decent exposure to people.
Then as suggested, maybe she is used to men, but then you mentioned that the breeder was a woman, so that makes no sense either as to why she would bolt from you?

I would continue on and not make a big deal about it, as disappointing as it is to have a puppy that does not want to be with you. I would do the tethering too, (good suggestions!), and in addition, just let her drag a leash around when she is not tethered. This way, if you want to get a hold of her, instead of chasing her (resolve now to NEVER chase her, you are setting up bad habits letting her run away from you), throw a treat out in front of you a bit and when she is focused on the treat, not facing you, casually bend down and pick up the leash: voila!! No need to chase!

As she gets more used to being with you, start picking up the leash with you in a more frontal position, but stand sideways and look away from her, bend down bending away from her - this is a less threatening pose to dogs than facing them or bending towards them.

I'm sorry you are having these issues, it must be very frustrating - she is a complete sweetheart though! Take it slow, try to not put any mental/emotional expectations on her behaviour, dogs are sensitive to our feelings. Your thoughts and attitudes should convey to her that anything she does is fine with you, and not convey that you are frustrated with her (I'm not saying that you are sending out those vibes when you interact - but be aware of just WHICH vibes you ARE sending out.)

Good luck, hope you keep us updated with your progress!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I agree with others, be very very patient. I think I'd give 100% of her food from my hand (pocket's full of kibble?). And not to loud/happy/praising. She may need the quiet to figure this all out and not be overwhelmed with all the new. She's really beautiful..

You clicker train? That would be the absolute best thing for the 2 of you....

Clicker Training: Marking Your Dog's Successful Behavior

Need TONS and TONS of frequent treats, REAL treats (not dry dog treats), used to lure give ENGAGE the pups initially.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! They are very much appreciated! I take her everywhere with me, praise her all the time and feel like I'm getting nowhere. I will definatly try tethering. And I kmow I shouldnt chase her, but there was no way in h*** she was coming to me and I was late for work! ha!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I agree with others, be very very patient. I think I'd give 100% of her food from my hand (pocket's full of kibble?). And not to loud/happy/praising. She may need the quiet to figure this all out and not be overwhelmed with all the new. She's really beautiful..

You clicker train? That would be the absolute best thing for the 2 of you....

Need TONS and TONS of frequent treats, REAL treats (not dry dog treats), used to lure give ENGAGE the pups initially.
I am planning on clicker training... as soon as she is able to focus on me and not bolt. That was the first thing I thought of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page