Garage Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Garage Training

My girlfriend and I just bought a GSD. He's 8 weeks old and we're just starting with his training. We plan on him being an outside dog, thus he'll live in my second garage. However, we plan the leave the garage door open so he can go in and out to use the restroom as needed. Also, its a big garage and a bit of a storage room, with plenty of room for him to sneak off and potty behind boxes. Any ideas on how to keep him from pottying in the garage and instead going outside?

As of now, we're kennel training. But he potties a lot and unfortunately he still has occasional accidents when we let him out to play in the house. He's been on soft food and we think that's part of his potty problem. I recently read some soft foods can be unhealthy, so we're weening him over to Beneiful puppy food. I don't know if this helps with training suggestions or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Crowned Member

Why get a dog if you're just going to banish him to being outside? I never understood why people do that.

Dogs are pack animals - they want to be with their pack aka you. Why not just set up something inside like a crate where they can sleep comfortable near it's pack?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Well, they'll be with my siblings (2 younger brothers, and a younger sister) whenever they're out of school. The only time he'd be in his garage would be when we're all out at school.. Other than that, he'd be hanging out with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Crowned Member

Why not just buy a crate and have him stay in there? A good crate can be the best thing you buy for a puppy if used correctly.

Are you familiar with crate training and how to go about doing it?

My lucy is almost 3 years old and she still goes in her crate when no ones around to supervise. It's her own special little safe place and she knows it and loves it. I'll probably use it throughout her whole life and the best part of it... it's indoors. The nice, climate controlled, near her family, indoors!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lucydog. An 8 week old puppy is a baby and needs to be with its pack. I'm sorry, but living in a garage is **** for a GSD(and every other breed) Can you trust that your younger brother and sister will keep the dog safe, make sure he doesn't get into anything....garages are full of poison to a puppy.

Beneful dog food is horrible, please take some time here reading the puppy threads, nutrition threads, training and every other thread you can find time to read.

You are setting this poor puppy up to fail if you are planning on doing what you've posted in your above writing. Please, please educate yourself and your family.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Knighted Member

As everyone stated this people needs to be with people...especially gsds. As Onyx said that is a horrible food...stay away from grocery store foods they are crap. Get him on a good kibble. Typcially you should do a slow gradual switch but since he's not even on one you'll have to deal with loose stool until he gets use to the new kibble.

Alos he's a BABY, he is going to have accidents at this age. He has a tiny bladder and will go often. You don't expect a human baby to be potty trained for a couple of years, give you puppy a couple of months. Most puppies can hold their bladder through the night by 4 months, gsd's tend to be earlier than that. It is up to you to teach him where he should go. Take him outside when he wakes up and after he eats and many times in between. PRAISE him anytime he goes outside.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

German Shepherds are one of the most needy breeds in my experience. They NEED to be with people. Our dogs aren't allowed in our living room, and they know it, but Jackson will sneak across the floor trying to go unnoticed if we are in there, just so he can be next to us. If you have the puppy in the garage, be prepared to come in to a huge mess. They are easily bored as puppies and will destroy anything they can get their mouths on if left alone. If you can't have a dog in the house, consider if you really should get the dog.

When I was younger, our dog was an outside dog. We gave him alot of attention, but I will never have another outside dog again becasue I feel like he missed out on way too much. It wasn't my decision, but if you really do get a dog and leave him out of the house, PLEASE remember that they will be around for a long time, and you will have to be spending ALOT of time in the next 10-15 years outside with the dog.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

I am not sure who the dog will be spending his time with, but if the maority of his time is spent with school kids, keep in mind that as the kids get older and begin to mature, they will be spending the majority of their time with friends, not the dog. I am not sure from your posts exactly if that is the case, I just saw you mention kids and school, and that is one thing everyone needs to remember when they get a dog for their kids, or if they are a kid when they get a dog- whether or not that is your case- i'm not saying it is.

I'm NOT saying you would not be a good dog owner, but I have had an outside dog and I know how it is, and it's something I wouldn't ever do again. I just want you to consider everything before hand!!

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 AM

I can't imagine keeping a dog away from the family if it's at all possible to have them WITH the family.

Our girl has slept with us since she was six weeks old - no accidents at night AT ALL (we took her out every 3 hours for first several weeks). She is the most affectionate, loving dog I've ever known. She's family and I could no more imagine her as an outside dog than I would keep one of my children as an "outside kid". Her crate is inside and she does well in it. It's her "place".

I strongly recommend you re-think the 'outside dog' thing, especially with this breed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Master Member

I think you'll miss more than you think with him in the garage, even some of the time. And kids aren't really the best trainers, nor will they catch behaviors that might need swift corrections. I'm with the others: crate. You'll all be better off in the long and short run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page