Mouthing not really biting but sort of - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mouthing not really biting but sort of

Hi my GSD is about 10 months now. He sort of bites or nips but really just mouths. Sometimes when he gets a little riled up he kind of nips. I keep saying NO!! but he wont stop this,any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

I have the same problem. Atticus likes to put everything in her mouth ... not to bite, its almost like she's just feeling it with her mouth ... seeing what it is.

Everything I've read points to redirection. Pull your hand away, say ouch ... and give something she can chew on

ATTICUS - Black & Tan GSD - Born Nov 8, 2010
ATHENA - Black & Tan GSD - Born May 30, 2012
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM

I agree with the ouch thing. If you say OW! loud enough your dog will instinctively let go of you. Just as he would if he made another puppy cry.
He will soon learn this is unwanted behavior.

Sheba 1980s
Essie Gold Ret 1980s
Shadow 1993-2005
Kazar 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005-
Miss Molly 2011-2014
Zazzle 2014
Bigboy 2005-2016
Whiskey 2016-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Wow someone answered, thanks. Ill try those
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

Stosh just turned a year old and he still does the mouthing thing- I think he always will. He holds my wrist in his mouth and gives just enough pressure then releases before I say 'ouch'. I usually say 'gentle' and he knows what that means but still when he gets a little excited he nips. He only does it to me and my husband so I don't mind. Seems like a sign of affection. Now the nip at the face, that's another story! I definitely correct him for that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM

Our recent rescue, Duke, is 5 years old and does this! When you just want to pet him, it's easy to get him to stop mouthing. But when he gets excited he nips at us sometimes. And for some reason he loves to nip at my husband's goatee and sideburns. LoL! My husband gets onto him and tells him no. He's done it a couple of times hard enough to sort of startle my husband and it has hurt just a little. But when my husband is petting him and letting him sniff and kiss his face, Duke always nips at him. We don't really know how to train this out of him either. I guess we'll try the "OW!" thing.

Any other suggestions?

~ Holly ~
Duke's Mom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Master Member

Kain is 9 mos old and he does this as well, always has. When I pet him, he'll turn his head just enough to place my wrist/arm in his mouth. He doesn't really bite down, he simply wants me in his mouth. I honestly think it's his way of telling me that he loves me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page