This is a lot Harder than I Thought. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This is a lot Harder than I Thought.

Today I decided to teach Ozzy to bow. I know that the best way would be to wait for him to do it on his own and reward him, but he almost never bows except for when he's stretching. He doesn't really play bow. (Maybe because he's so small compared to our other dogs?) So that would take forever. D:

I put my hand under his tummy and teased him with the ball until he laid his front legs down and I'd reward him. I've been doing that throughout the day and it's taking so long! Everything else I've taught him, I let him figure it out on his own and he learned it in about 15-20 minutes. This is the first thing I've taught him where I've had to 'put' him in the position and it's taken me foreverrrrr. He's getting it down though!

No wonder so many people who push their dogs butts down to teach them sit get frustrated.... LOL

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If you blow the dust off your clicker you can get this trained really fast.

This video REALLY describe and shows how THE CLICKER can help teach and build a behavior. When and how you feed. How to NOT mix it up with a 'down'.

This is an interest way to show how our dogs learn to LOVE to learn and offer behaviors with 'free shaping' and a clicker. We are NOT supposed to talk, just click as the dog moves along towards our end behavior. Interesting to see how the dog also 'learns' to wipe it's face at the same session.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

When I let him do it on his own, he'll do a down, but when I'll put him in the position, he'll hold it. He'll get it down, I think it's just a matter of time.

I'll watch those videos when I get home. I can't watch 'em right now. Youtube's blocked at school.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

i taught Zena to bow using the same method you started with by putting her into the position but i always had to lead her into the position with a treat and the command afterso learn it. good luck!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
I taught Dodger by luring him with a treat until his elbows hit the floor and his butt stayed up, when he did that i clicked and treated. He learned it pretty fast probably about 10-15 mins I would say. Keep practicing and he'll get it eventually.
\
I don't know if this helps or not but it took Dodger a month to figure out sit pretty, since I wanted him to do it on his own I just broke it down in to baby steps, you might want to try breaking bow in to baby sits and it might be easier for Ozzy to distinguish between bow and down.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page