not jump on counters and table to steal food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

not jump on counters and table to steal food?

Our 7 month old Jackson is a complete pig. He eats EVERYTHING. And its becoming a problem. He eats whatever is not nailed down. But, its becoming a problem because I am afraid of him getting something stuck in him.
But as of lately, him stealing food is a pain. My dh was making lunches, he had food in the lunch boxes, he walked into the garage to get more snacks, and in that minute-Jackson stole apples out of the lunches and ate them. He has no manners. But, we are not sure the correct way to teach him not to do this. He jumps on the counters and kitchen table. What do you do to curb this behavior? His food drive is probably the highest I have ever seen in a dog...

Kimi

Codi-May 14, 2002 female GSD
Jackson-May 15, 2010 male GSD
Memphis-Aug 3, 2011 male kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

You can only really teach your dog to not counter surf when you are right there. It's almost impossible to teach them not to do it reliably when you aren't. If you don't want something eaten, you have to put it safely away.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Crowned Member

Of all my dogs, Dante is the only one who was a counter surfer. I say was, because he's 99% cured of this horrible bad habit. He discovered one day that he was tall enough to look around up there and it grew to stealing things (food), and it got out of control FAST.

We could catch him in the act and he would stay up (front feet on the counter) till you got within reaching distance. He would actually stay there and watch as you approached.

Finally resorted to the e-collar (remote trainer) and set him up a couple of times with yummy treats on the counter. Left the room but could still see in the kitchen. It was like fishing with live bait, only moments before he'd jump up.

Now he seems to think the counters are electric and he stays off them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

With fosters that countersurfed, I let them drag a leash around with a prong. I leave something tempting on the counter and then give a swift correction when they try to hop up. This doesn't teach them not to countersurf when you're not there though. You just have to put the food out of reach when you're gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Master Member

A cattle prod, also called a stock prod, is a handheld device commonly used to make cattle or other livestock move by striking or poking them, or in the case of a Hot-Shot-type prod, through a relatively high-voltage, low-current electric shock.

Just kidding. I have no idea how to discourage this behavior unless you were physically there when he does it, then you could correct on the spot. Curious to see what others say.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Crowned Member

Oh my Lord, Kain, you had me going for a second there!

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Knighted Member

Work on leave it and once it is mastered use it just before walking away from food- it really does work even if your not there. My lab was a terrible counter surfer until we initiated the leave it command with food and slowly but surely he began to respect my food resources even when out of the room. I can and do leave food on my counters, tables, night stand, or wherever I am eating and when I walk away I give a simple leave it and he does. The GSD is 14 months and 99% there....she did steal some pork chops a few months back but none since then
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Work on leave it and once it is mastered use it just before walking away from food- it really does work even if your not there. My lab was a terrible counter surfer until we initiated the leave it command with food and slowly but surely he began to respect my food resources even when out of the room. I can and do leave food on my counters, tables, night stand, or wherever I am eating and when I walk away I give a simple leave it and he does. The GSD is 14 months and 99% there....she did steal some pork chops a few months back but none since then
Never heard that term before. **whew** I'm catching a cramp!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Larien
Rem started doing the same thing - I've taught him "off." It's very simple, say "off" firmly, treat and praise when he obeys. But here's the trick - I also taught him "up." Maybe it'll come in handy one day, but really I just wanted to drive the "off" concept home - if he knows what up is, he knows even more what off means. And it enables me to practice by telling him up and then off. He's mastered it. He'll still attempt to jump up, but a quick "off" and he's right back on the floor. He's only 4 months old, so I expect with more training, he'll stop it completely soon.

Combined with leave it, it's highly effective. So even if he does jump up, "leave it" and then "off" will ensure he not only gets down, but doesn't touch anything. Rem knows leave it well, so he has never eaten or grabbed anything off of a high surface. He just investigates, xD.

I would know if it happened if I were in another room because I'd hear it - he's a big, oaf of a puppy and he makes a lot of noise just doing anything. I have never heard him do it when I wasn't around. But I also make sure I do not leave food of any kind on my counters. But I have so many other pets that such a thing would be foolish of me, anyway. I have left chews and stuff on them - and off must work, because he knows they're there, and leaves them alone. If the command was a failure, I'd keep finding him with the bones, but so far, I haven't.

My late Great Dane, Scout, who I lost in August, truly couldn't help it - his head naturally stood taller than the countertops! He didn't even have to jump up! Always had things disappearing when he was around!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

we have the same problem with Riley. We leave nothing on the counter and he figured out how start opening cupboards. He has to follow us when we leave the room and if he doesnt he's crated. I've considered getting a static mat and putting it on the counter when we leave but also putting the static mat at the trashcan too so we can reliably leave him out the crate. He stays out of trouble except for the counter surfing, pantry surfing and the trash diving. hide the trash and threaten his life if he counter surfs and he's good! like a freaking teenager.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page