Just Adopted Need some HELP!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Just Adopted Need some HELP!!

Hello there Im a newbie here. I just adopted "Orion" a 2 year old GSD and he is not house broken. I finally got him to go pee outside and reward him when he does so.. However he will not poo outside. I take him out every 10 mins for 10 mins at a time and he will not go. As soon as I bring him back inside WHAMOOO theres poo on the carpet.

What should I do to get him to stop going inside and do his business outside.

And the other issue I have is the day I adopted him 12/26 ever since I brought him home he will NOT leave me side. Wherever I go in the house he is right on my side, I cannot even go the bathroom or take a shower without him having to be with me. If he cant see me he goes crazy and starts to whine. Dont get me wrong I like having a loyal dog however I want him to learn to do his own thing and not always have to be on my side so I can get things done around the house and such.

Hope someone has some ideas that can help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

"Hello there Im a newbie here. I just adopted "Orion" a 2 year old GSD and he is not house broken. I finally got him to go pee outside and reward him when he does so.. However he will not poo outside. I take him out every 10 mins for 10 mins at a time and he will not go. As soon as I bring him back inside WHAMOOO theres poo on the carpet."

Take him out every hour.

What should I do to get him to stop going inside and do his business outside.

"And the other issue I have is the day I adopted him 12/26 ever since I brought him home he will NOT leave me side. Wherever I go in the house he is right on my side, I cannot even go the bathroom or take a shower without him having to be with me. If he cant see me he goes crazy and starts to whine. Dont get me wrong I like having a loyal dog however I want him to learn to do his own thing and not always have to be on my side so I can get things done around the house and such."

GSD's are "velcro" dogs, they want to be where you are at all times. My GSD is glued to my hip. I am not allowed to go to the bathroom without him. You get used to it after a while. My GSD is my partner in crime, wherever I go, he goes.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

Ha ha ha- get used to the velcro dog thing.
As far as getting him to poo outside, I have found that if you want results sooner try getting him to move around around a little if you think it is "time" for him to go. If he's just eaten you don't want him to get too rambunctious though. Work on getting to know his pattern- if he doesn't need to go right after eating crate him for a little while and then take him out. This sets him up to succeed. Wait-do you have a crate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Knighted Member

Yep following you is part of being a gsd, doing homework before deciding on breed is a must.

If he is going in the house, when you clean up the poo take it outside where you want him to go and leave it. Next time he needs to go he will pick the scent up there. At 2 yrs he is probably only going (poo) twice a day, first thing in the morning and late afternoon or early evening.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

Take him out like you are. If he does not go, he goes directly into a crate. Repeat until he goes.

Get a good cleaner, or use white vinegar and water, to thoroughly clean any spot in the house where he has gone.

Once you have a dog, or a child, your days of going to the bathroom in peace are OVER.

Let him in or ignore the whining. He's in a new place and he's scared. He's probably terribly confused over the changes in his life. It will take a couple of weeks for him to settle in. Just ignore the whining. He's whining for your attention. ANY attention you give him will reinforce it. As soon as he is quiet, reward and praise him.

ETA: he's probably never been in a crate so you'll need to crate train him. NEVER put him in there when you are angry. He will view it as a punishment. He needs to learn his crate is HIS place to go. And do NOT ever let him out when he's whining to get out.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I would start crate training him. It will help getting him used to being away from you, and it will help with the house-breaking.

Taking him out every 10 minutes is great, I admire your dedication! It will take a few days for you to get his potty schedule so you can set him up for success. There will be a period of hit-and-miss at first, don't get discouraged.

I would start a schedule and stick to it whether you are at work or at home. Feed at certain times, take out at certain times, crate at certain times, exercise and play and train at certain times. He is insecure right now, being in a new home, so a solid schedule will help him understand that the world is a safe and predictable place, and he can trust you to be there for him and provide him with what he needs.

With feedings on schedule, his potty routine will get on schedule too. It will take a few days for his system to get on schedule, so be patient. Once you have a pretty good idea of how often he needs to go, and when, you can build his potty outings around that. I would try and spend more time outside, not bring him in as soon as he pees. Get him running and playing, and then take him for a walk - that should stimulate him to potty. If he does not, put him in his crate. Do get him used to the crate gradually, start feeding him in there to associate the crate with good stuff.

Thanks for adopting! He looks gorgeous! It's a shame that his previous owners could not take the time and effort to house-break him, but with consistency I'm sure he will be fine.

Edited to add: Ha! Everyone else posted while I was typing up my response!! Great to see that everyone is on the same page with this!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 12-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Knighted Member

As far as the following you around goes--you will get used to it. You will no longer be going to the bathroom by yourself. GSDs follow their people EVERYWHERE. If it is too much to take then crate him when you need time alone or to work. You could also teach him to down,stay in a certain area, but I highly doubt that will work once you are out of his sight. The crate is your best bet. Plus the crate will help with housebreaking.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to you and Orion!

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

I would take him for a walk to get things moving. And keep him leashed to you or crated in the house, just like you would a young puppy. I have housebroken older dogs before and they usually catch on pretty quickly if you're consistent and remember to treat the whole process just like you would a puppy.

Also, be sure to clean the area where he's pooping with white vinegar and water so that the scent isn't there.

I have to agree that if you don't like having someone with you at all times then you chose the wrong breed!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.. I guess im gonna have to crate train him.. Ive tried most of your suggestions already and they dont seem to work..

I am picking up a crate tonite hopefully that will work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page