Teaching Names of Family Members? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Teaching Names of Family Members?

How do you go about teaching your pup the names of various family members? Maybe this is simple but we have had our current dog for over 12 years and he STILL just stares at us blankly when we say "go to Josh" or "where is Cody"? He knows names of THINGS like his "fetchy", "ball," and "door." Maybe he is just not that bright (he is not a GSD!)

I'd like to teach my future GSD pup the names of my kids. Any tips? I plan to do clicker training as well.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Huh, not sure how to train it, but Niko knows Mommy and Daddy. DH will ask him "Where's Mommy?" and if Niko runs to me, I praise him and give him treats/petting. I can say to Niko, "Go get Daddy!" and he will run to DH. We didn't work on training it, but I may have called Niko after DH asked him where I was. Eventually, I didn't have to call him anymore.

We tried to do the same thing with Rosa, but I'm not sure if she gets it. She has a mind of her own, and if she doesn't want to find the other person, she just won't.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Maybe it is the same as teaching them the names of their toys. Has anyone done that? I think I read on here that some of the dogs will go get a specific toy or item when asked. How do people teach those names?

Shawn
Mom to five kids and

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I think Shasta learned the names she knows the same way a human baby would...we use them and eventually she associates those names with the correct items. She knows Mommy, Daddy and Sissy. She also knows ball, froggie, treat and Kong.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Elite Member

I'm really good at hiding things from myself. It's handy to have a dog who can find & retrieve things for me when I say "where glasses" or "where keys." She'll even find the cat for me, much to the cat's disgust. I'm not sure how Kaija learned "where" or the names of things/people/other critters, but I do talk to her a lot & explain everything to her. I pretend she can understand me, and sometimes I think she actually does. (Yep, I'm yer typical hermit lady with critters!)

Right after we moved, I was sitting at the computer shivering, but feeling too lazy to get up & find a blanket to wrap up in. Kaija (who had been staring at me while I muttered about being cold) suddenly stood up & left the room. I heard her rattling plastic bags & scratching at cardboard boxes, then I heard a box tip over.... but before I could get up to reprimand her, she walked back into the room dragging my favourite blankie & deposited it right in front of me. Now, tell me GSDs aren't the smartest dogs in the world!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Elite Member

Our dogs know Mommy, Daddy, grandma and grandpa. I think they learned by word association never really tried to train them they all jus picked it up.

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Knighted Member

Oh, I did this! And I used a clicker to do it! Here is what I did: I would sit with the dog in front of me and my other family members sitting next to me. One at a time, though. Once the dog picked up one person I would move on to another person.

So, I am sitting there with the dog and the other person. I would say, "Where is Dylan" and the second the dog would even glance at Dylan, I would click and treat. I moved from rewarding the glance to rewarding a longer look, then rewarding a nose touch, then rewarding getting up and moving to touch Dylan (by having Dylan move several feet away before asking Tanner where Dylan was). It got to the point where I could ask the dog where Dylan was and Tanner would go look for him. I never had the other person reward the behavior.

Plus, we are a talky kind of family, and we use our names a lot with each other. I wonder if Tanner picked it up so quickly because he had already made the connection between a particular name and a particular person.

It is a lot of fun and it sure impresses visitors!
Sheilah
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
Oh, I did this! And I used a clicker to do it! Here is what I did: I would sit with the dog in front of me and my other family members sitting next to me. One at a time, though. Once the dog picked up one person I would move on to another person.

So, I am sitting there with the dog and the other person. I would say, "Where is Dylan" and the second the dog would even glance at Dylan, I would click and treat. I moved from rewarding the glance to rewarding a longer look, then rewarding a nose touch, then rewarding getting up and moving to touch Dylan (by having Dylan move several feet away before asking Tanner where Dylan was). It got to the point where I could ask the dog where Dylan was and Tanner would go look for him. I never had the other person reward the behavior.
This is great! Thank you Sheilah!

Shawn
Mom to five kids and

Saber's Blog:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Banned

i taught my pup "go to Rosie" and "go to Tillmon".
when we were teaching come my GF and i would sit on the floor
with our feet touching. our pup was between our legs. i would
face the pup towards my GF and my GF would say "come" at the same
time i would say "go to Rosie". my GF would face the pup towards me
and say "go to Tillmon" as i said come. you might have to push/usher
him along. sometimes we would just say "come" mixing in each other names. once the pup got "come" go to was easy. after the pup got come
we started making the distance futher and futher. we trained indoors and outside. once the pup got "go to" we started giving him things to carry
to teach of us a news paper, brush, a bag, leash, the mail, etc.

once my pup got "go to" my GF or i could hide in the woods and we could say "go to Rosie" or
"go to Tillmon" and our pup/dog would find us. our pup/dog was older before him mastered
"go to".

Last edited by doggiedad; 12-25-2010 at 12:09 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

our next door neighbor just came over. i took Loki in another
room and i said "go to Stosh" and he did. our next door
helped us with our pup since day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page