Best way to teach "the owner leaving" is OK - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Question Best way to teach "the owner leaving" is OK

I just had my dog go through her CGC test and she did pass with station #10 though being her weak station. #10 is where you leave your dog and get out of sight for three minutes. The dog is supposed to remain calm and stay with the helper. The helper told me Ruby did fine for about two minutes and then barked a couple times and looked a little restless. She didn't get out of control so she passed that station but was marginal. I have noticed this myself at other times when I left her with someone for a while I had to do something without the dog.

What training should I do to make her calmer and more confident when I have to leave her with a stranger? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Practice, practice, practice. Can you leave her in a crate for 3 mins? Or in a down/stay and walk to another room out of sight? That's how I practiced it. Being in a class where we practiced it each week was also a great benefit but you could take her to the vet's office and have them help out or go to Petsmart and have the trainer hold onto her for a few minutes, things like that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

I tell Jax "see ya later" which seems to mean to her that she is not going but I'll be back. I don't make a big deal out of it. But...practice, practice, practice. There were times I would leave Jax with someone and she would scream the entire time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Practice, practice, practice. Can you leave her in a crate for 3 mins? Or in a down/stay and walk to another room out of sight? That's how I practiced it. Being in a class where we practiced it each week was also a great benefit but you could take her to the vet's office and have them help out or go to Petsmart and have the trainer hold onto her for a few minutes, things like that.
She stays in her crate without a complaint all day (6-8 hours) and I have done the down stay going to another room for two minutes and she does that well. When I was in Ob class we never got to the point as a class where we were leaving the dogs. Seems that with her it's situation specific meaning she knows that crated I'll be back and the down stay is at home so no issue there. Outside of the house and leaving her is where the problem arises.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

Honestly, I much rather have a dog that misses me instead of a dog that doesn't even care I am gone.

I trained that with one of my dogs to the point where she got waaaay too independent. I like it when they are attached to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page