How do I teach her to sit still and stop jumping? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

How do I teach her to sit still and stop jumping?

I have manage to teach her to sit today with very little effort. However, after I leave or when she sees me with food she gets up and starts jumping. I also took her to the park today. She's calm around other people who just casually walk pass by slowly. The bad part is when she try to pull me while seeing people riding bikes pass by and other dog owners. She doesn't go after my small dogs at home though. Can you guys give me some advice on how to stop these behavior problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Crowned Member

Just because you've taught your dog that "sit" means she should plunk her behind on the ground doesn't mean that you've truly taught her a "sit". You need to proof the behavior in different places and different situations, and if you want her to sit/stay you also need to add duration to the behavior before it's truly "learned".

If you want her to sit/wait when you have food, one method I've found that works well for me is that jumping gets nothing while sitting gets a reward. So I would have a bowl of food or a hand full of treats and I would tell the dog to sit. If the dog sits, I click her for that and give her a treat. If that gets her excited and she starts jumping around, acting excited, I would turn away and make her "invisible" - basically, I would cease all interaction with her - no eye contact, no voice, no physical contact. Until she offers another behavior - like standing still or, ideally, sitting. It doesn't take long for most dogs to catch on that jumping = nothing and sitting = reward.

I would work on proofing the command sit in various situations and also in various positions. Have her sit in front of you and next to you on either side. Dogs need to learn to generalize a command to understand it as meaning that action, regardless of where they are at and where you are at. If you only teach her to sit in front of you, she may not give you a sit when you're across the room or she's in a heel or she's on top of a big rock or in the back of the car. I'd also work on the command under various levels of distraction - coming in with a food bowl, outside the house, at the park - working from low levels up to higher levels of distraction.

Regarding the lunging toward bikes and other dogs, I would start with a good solid "name game" - teaching your dog that you saying her name means LOOK AT ME, every single time. If you have her focus, you can direct her to do something else (like sit) or simply keep her focus on you, instead of focusing on something she would want to lunge toward, like a bicycle.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Abby! I will try using your methods next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page