Afraid of metal! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Afraid of metal!

Well, Dexter is almost 10 months old and recently returned from in-kennel training. We're doing a lot of walking around town and he's walking great on a loose leash. I use a martingale collar. He always avoided those large see-through metal grates on the sidewalk. I tried to get him to walk over them but he'd balk and I thought they do look a little scary, so I didn't push it. Now, however, he refuses to walk over those solid metal plates on sidewalks. Not the large ones on the street but the ones that are maybe 10-inches wide and stretch from one side of the sidewalk to the other. I don't want to pull him through and I'll try high-value treats the next time we go. Any ideas? Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Master Member

If he runs with you try running and walking making a game out of it and run over them before he can figure out whats up. Reward with treats .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks, we don't run but it's an idea. In fact, yesterday we went to visit a friend for the first time and had to go up see-through steps and I had a hard time getting him to go up the first two steps. I think they sort of reminded him of those metal plates. Sheesh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page