loud noises - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

loud noises

I guess i would be coincided an outdoors man. I don't want my do to be fearful of loud sounds (i.e. gunfire). Any training suggestions and/or cautions? I've though about just setting off firecrackers around him. Should he have ear protection? I'll probably seldom/never have him around the gun range, but as a kid I had a retrieve who hid in the basement and urinated on himself whenever my dad would take me shooting, or the neighbor set off fireworks. I don't want Reagan doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Elite Member

What's the reason you don't want him gun shy? Unless you plan to hunt with your shepherd, I don't see the point. Some more experienced members will give you some more feedback.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Crowned Member

Well, I wouldn't start with firecrackers! I'd have someone bang on a table or trashcan lid, something like that while you give him treats or a play with his favorite toy to distract him while the noise is going on. Their hearing is so acute that something like that is sufficient to train him. Is he afraid of thunder? That's usually a pretty good clue of how he'll handle a gunshot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
What's the reason you don't want him gun shy? Unless you plan to hunt with your shepherd, I don't see the point. Some more experienced members will give you some more feedback.
I don't plan on using him to hunt, but I do go to the firing range and launch fireworks when I throw parties. I just don't want him to be freaked out by the explosions/thunder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page