Stop going after our food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Stop going after our food

Jackson just turned 6 months recently, and how do we stop him from taking food from peoples hands-he is so rude when it comes to food. He is decent when we eat at the kitchen table, but our nightly popcorn, or even eating a sucker, he is all over and will just take it-as if its his right. We are unsure how to correct this.... Any suggestions???

Kimi

Codi-May 14, 2002 female GSD
Jackson-May 15, 2010 male GSD
Memphis-Aug 3, 2011 male kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

I've never given a dog 'people food' out of my hand- I always dropped it in their bowl so they know it's for them. When we're eating a snack or something in the living room rather than at the table, I have them go to a place and give the 'settle' command- which means they can lay sit or lay in any position they want, but they need to stay there. Usually they pick the rug in front of the kitchen sink or under the table, I don't care where- just away from me
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

We don't ever give either of our dogs people food, and our older lady wasn't as rude as Jackson is. He is such a different personality. He is really driving me crazy lately. But, today we are trying to eat popcorn and he is all up in our faces and won't stop..

Kimi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi View Post
We don't ever give either of our dogs people food, and our older lady wasn't as rude as Jackson is. He is such a different personality. He is really driving me crazy lately. But, today we are trying to eat popcorn and he is all up in our faces and won't stop..
Try 'Leave It' and if he doesn't listen put him in his crate. I think he will figure it out after a few times.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I thought we shouldn't use the crate for punishment?
He seems to be hungry all the time this puppy. I don't know what his problem is. Esp once he discovered that we eat different food than he does. He just seems to have lost some of his manners lately, and I am not liking it!!!!

Kimi

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi View Post
Jackson just turned 6 months recently, and how do we stop him from taking food from peoples hands-he is so rude when it comes to food. He is decent when we eat at the kitchen table, but our nightly popcorn, or even eating a sucker, he is all over and will just take it-as if its his right. We are unsure how to correct this.... Any suggestions???
How about teaching him "no" or "leave it"? That is what we did with our pushy 3 yo male.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM

By playing the "
" game

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Master Member

If your 6 month old puppy can not be trusted around people eating then he should not be given the privileged of being lose and able to such a thing. "puppy should not be lose"

2nd. You know that you have some training to do on this subject so don't put your puppy in the worst case scenario and try to fix it. Work with your puppy 1 on 1 and teach him to leave it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

easy solution...crate.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Until Jordan would lay at my feet and not whimper or try to get my food we used puppy time outs.... but not in the crate.... I tethered her in the same room so she could see me and the food... then I gave her the settle, down, ah-ah, or leave it commands depending on her reactions.

-Jess

Jordan - 5.5 mos - GSD
Corey - 11 yrs - Chi/Terrier
Annie - 4 yrs - Chi
Ashleigh - 3 yrs - Siamese
Hobbes - 3 yrs - Tabby
Pasha - 1 yr - Gecko
Zuki - 1 yr - Bearded Dragon
Wyatt - 2 yrs - Cockatiel
Milo - 11 yrs - Cockatoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page