Go get the puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Go get the puppy

Does anyone know how I would teach Dakota who is 2yo to "herd" Jackie back in when she takes off? Can I teach her to do that? We live on three acres and they love to run and play. Most of the time when we go outside to play Jackie takes off and runs all over. She hasn't learned the "come" command too well yet so we end up chasing her all over. The other day I was out there with them and Jackie took off. Jokingly I said to Dakota, go get Jackie. She took off after her and kind of got her turned around and then she just playfully tackled her. She's done this a few times. Does that mean there's a way to teach her to go get Jackie and bring her back? Does anyone know how I would teach her that? On the other hand, I'm getting some good exercise running after her, lol!

Donna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

keep Jackie on a leash untill she has recall. i assume since you haven't
taught Jackie to come you haven't taught her not to run
into the street. what happens if the other dog is herding
her and she runs into the street?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

They play in the backyard. Our property is set up so our house sits back pretty far from the road. We have fences on just about all sides of the property. The only part that doesn't have a fence is a break in the treeline at the back of the property and our driveway, but we have a gate that we close. If they went through the break in the treeline they would end up in our neighbors yard and it's a very, very long way to the street on their side. I understand your concern about that, but luckily running into the street isn't really an issue. However, it is true that I need to teach her recall pretty quickly. I have the long lead so maybe I should start using that even when we're playing and make my recall training a top priority.

Donna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit722 View Post
Does anyone know how I would teach Dakota who is 2yo to "herd" Jackie back in when she takes off? ........ Jokingly I said to Dakota, go get Jackie. She took off after her and kind of got her turned around and then she just playfully tackled her. She's done this a few times. Does that mean there's a way to teach her to go get Jackie and bring her back? Does anyone know how I would teach her that? On the other hand, I'm getting some good exercise running after her, lol!
You could teach Dakota to grab onto Jackies leash and walk her back.

As for having Dakota herd Jackie, I don't think I'd teach it. Jackie might accept it great as a puppy but as she gets older she might not be as receptive to the idea. By then Dakota might think it's her job and do it more than you want her to, and that might annoy Jackie. Just guessing though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Whiteshepherds, that's a very good point. Thanks!

Donna

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page