Puupies and Kids - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
CPH

Puupies and Kids

Hi Everyone, I am hoping someone can give me some advice on this. My puppy, Capone, is currently 6 1/2 months and hasn't really been around kids much as we don't have kids and don't know a lot of people that do. When he does see kids he immediately goes into play bow and runs around and tries to lick and play with the kids. Naturally, usually the kids and parents get a little bit worried. He is in no way aggressive, it just seems as though because they are small he sees it as play friends, i'm not sure. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00026-20101026-2142.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	4400  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

basically all you can do is work on training him to chill out some when he see's kids. you might be able to find people who have dogs that also have kids and ask them if they'd be okay with you introducing your pup to the kids under supervision. be sure the parents know your pup gets excited and wants to play. people who dont understand wouldnt be real thrilled with it. When he gets excited like that recall and make him sit and then ask the family if they could help you continue positive socialization with your pup so he's well rounded.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

I think it is great that your pup likes kids and it should be encouraged! We see way too many GSD's that do not like kids and often the owners seem to encourage that behavior. I think that GSD's and kids are great together - what better sight than a big tough "guard" dog playing nicely with little kids?

Sure you need to train the dog to be gentle around little ones and also train the kids to be nice with the dog but together they are really nice.

We don't have any kids at home now but Baron still seems to like kids starting with the neighbors two little girls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
CPH

First of all yes I Know my spelling in the posting title is horrendous, and I can't fix it now!

Thanks for everyone's input. It is great that he likes kids, and we try to make him sit when he meets kids to put him in a calm state, his first move is always a nice big lick to the face! And it is pretty cute that he thinks kids mean playtime, but I just get worried hes going to knock someones kid over and then we would have some pretty unimpressed parents!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

He's pretty! I agree with above, you just need to take him out and socialize him more in places where there are children and he needs some obedience help so that you're able to control him in times like you described.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM

Well, he's not afraid of kids, that's the important thing. He just wants to play with 'em.

How's he on bite inhibition? Can you trust him not to chomp and just to mouth if he gets excited? And not to snap, at least not at faces? If you can then you don't have much further to go.

Look around and see if any of your family or close friends have kids who'd want to help out and who won't mind getting scratched up, knocked down, and slobbered on. (I dunno what the world is coming to. When I was a kid, if you got knocked down by a friendly dog and maybe scratched up a bit ... well, that was part of playing with the dog. You learned to pay more attention and how to redirect a dog in mid-jump. And oh my god does that last paragraph make me feel like I'm getting old.)

But that's the best way. Find some kids for him to play with. If he plays too roughly, give him a command to chill out, and if he keeps playing too roughly, give him a time out for about a minute. If he goes back to playing at an appropriate level, give him a treat (or join in on the petting, or throw a ball, or whatever.) Since most dogs that love playing with kids really love playing with kids, he should pick up on the drill pretty quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page