Can't teach Roo to Bark - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Can't teach Roo to Bark

So the basic issue is I can't teach Roo to speak. Reason being she never barks and there is no trigger except perhaps another dog that makes her bark. I've tried a great deal of things to Rile her up but shes only barked in the house maybe 3 times...ever...

She is extremely intelligent and knows sit, lay down, roll over, paw, jump, stay etc. The reason I want her to know is for intimidation factor as I often walk at night in downtown areas. She would sooner lick a mugger then see any human as a perceived threat.

Any ideas? What makes your dog bark besides typical things?

~Roo - 7 month old Black GSD~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Have you backtied her and teased her up with a favorite toy? That will do it usually. Reward as soon as she makes a noise then wait it out til she actually barks. Sometimes watching another dog getting teased(while being backtied) will frustrate enough to get a dog barking.

I really wouldn't want my dog to bark in such as situation as you want. A well behaved, obedient dog is intimidating to a stranger(they have no clue the dog isn't protection trained), and many just bark because they are fearful, not confident.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I don't want the dog to bark at strangers whilst walking, I just want the ability to have her bark on command. The dog does not have to know why she is doing it.

~Roo - 7 month old Black GSD~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Did you read this thread?
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-command.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

i recently taught Shasta by growling and barking at her lol. i would make various sounds until i figured out what caught her attention and got her to make a noise. i also trained her with a hand signal (basically a talking hand really lol) while i was doing it and saying speak. Only took about an hour and she's 6 months old. really about figuring out what triggers a reaction. When she does a huff at you, reward and say good. Gradually go up from there until she actually barks.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Master Member

I did the same as KZoppa. Only I placed a paper towel roll (just the cardboard part) open end over my mouth to create a echo. Now, whenever Bo sees the paper towel roll he gets excited thinking we are gonna play.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:29 PM

ring the doorbell LOL all these trick or treaters are driving scout nuts... and he NEVER barks unless he has to go potty really bad... but then again it could teach him to only bark at the doorbell O.o

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page