"Find" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Question "Find"

About a year ago I would hide treats indoors and say find and the dogs would look for and find the treats. My GSD was terrible at this. My husky got 99% of them. However the past 3 months I have taken her favorite toy ( her ball) outside and put her in a stay command and then hid it elsewhere outdoors. She is actually much better at this than with the treats. When I say find, she will come out of the stay command, and look- sometimes she will pick up the scent rather quick and find it.. other times she is soo far off and she just looks at me like where is it, and unless I show her the general area, she wont find it. How can I improve on this?

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
About a year ago I would hide treats indoors and say find and the dogs would look for and find the treats. My GSD was terrible at this. My husky got 99% of them. However the past 3 months I have taken her favorite toy ( her ball) outside and put her in a stay command and then hid it elsewhere outdoors. She is actually much better at this than with the treats. When I say find, she will come out of the stay command, and look- sometimes she will pick up the scent rather quick and find it.. other times she is soo far off and she just looks at me like where is it, and unless I show her the general area, she wont find it. How can I improve on this?

Try starting with the treat/ball/toy w/e closer to her and work your way out so her area expands. This worked very well with my last dog and he realized just like being inside that the better he did the bigger the area would get

oh and one thing if she starts to get lost as to where it is, start back over with a bit smaller area and work your way back up.

hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page