To SLEEP - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy To SLEEP

Really, we have tried quite a bit and im exhuasted.

Hubby is a DJ/Audio Engineer and our schedule is a bit off.

We sleep from about 1 to 3am untill 9 to 11am but I cant get Jordan to sleep past 5 am and I can't ignored her constant rearranging, whining, and barking for more than 2 hours in the morning.

We have started getting up but I don't let Jordan out until 9 to 10am.
We take her out back to go potty but that's it.

Any suggestions?
Her crate HAS to be in our room as we don't currently have a livingroom (long story). I am hoping by late spring to be able to transition her out in to the livingroom but that depends on our roommate situation and renovations to the house.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated! Im at my wits end -- oh I noticed this has only become worse in the last week... not too sure why!

-Jess

Jordan - 5.5 mos - GSD
Corey - 11 yrs - Chi/Terrier
Annie - 4 yrs - Chi
Ashleigh - 3 yrs - Siamese
Hobbes - 3 yrs - Tabby
Pasha - 1 yr - Gecko
Zuki - 1 yr - Bearded Dragon
Wyatt - 2 yrs - Cockatiel
Milo - 11 yrs - Cockatoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

That is going to be rough for a puppy. I've worked nights and my dogs adjusted fine to the schedule, but they were all adults by then.

Perhaps keep her up later? Is she going to sleep in the evening and then well rested by 5am? Try keeping her up, exercise her very late and see if that helps at all. Might also help to get up and take her for a potty break, then put her in an xpen rather than back in the crate with some toys, a peanut butter kong, a kong treat ball - anything safe to occupy her for a little longer,.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I will try exercising later tonight. We can't normally get her to stay up past 10pm... she literally falls asleep sitting up (not for lack of naps during the day either). I do normally exercise in the evenings but obviously not enough :-/

I dont think an xpen would contain her to be totally honest. She can (and does) jump really high (she can jump to our light switch already). And the 2nd issue with an xpen is it's large and we are in a very small house. She is also a vocal player, she "Talks" and "cries" to her toys o.o which is while she gets a rope and a snuggle toy in her crate and nothing else.

I will try to make her stay up... and wear her out a lot tonight ....If we could just get like 6 hours of sleep lol....Id be SO happy.

-Jess

Jordan - 5.5 mos - GSD
Corey - 11 yrs - Chi/Terrier
Annie - 4 yrs - Chi
Ashleigh - 3 yrs - Siamese
Hobbes - 3 yrs - Tabby
Pasha - 1 yr - Gecko
Zuki - 1 yr - Bearded Dragon
Wyatt - 2 yrs - Cockatiel
Milo - 11 yrs - Cockatoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page