"Guard" command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

"Guard" command?

I saw on another thread where someone has a Guard command they give their dog, apparently to have the dog start barking at a perceived threat.

Is this a common command to teach? If your dog does this, how did you teach it and is it an advisable thing to teach a GSD who is mainly a pet and not doing SchH etc? I ask because I can see how it could be useful if one felt threatened on a walk, to have the dog start barking (as a deterrant). But I would not want my dog to actually bite/lunge at anyone.

What do you think? Is this command a good or bad idea?

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Elite Member

Bad idea. You want a pet-so it should be treated like one. I know some people are going to disagree but I think that pets should be pets and sch. dogs should be sch. dogs-but sch. dogs can still be pets.
The other thing-is that I have never once heard of anyone with a sch dog giving the dog the commands off the field or training sessions elsewhere.
And, before I derail your topic, I'll start my own.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Gaurd/Watch

My dog and I are trained in 'personal protection'. This sounds very similar to what you are asking about. A brief description of what we do: at the command 'watch', Indigo will bark, snarl, lunge, snap-ALL on leash. At the command to stop 'out', he stops immediately and comes to a heel position. We do not do bite or chase work; tho I have no doubt that Indigo would do both if he was let off leash. I live alone and frequently walk at night, so I am fine if, when I am threatened, Indigo would bite if I let him.
You will need an experienced trainer to help you, as they act like the bad guy, My trainer is also very good at assessing the abilities of the dog. Not all are able to protect, some take to it well and some do it out of fear, which is a whole 'nother issue. I have seen personal protection offered by other trainers in different areas. Speaking for me and Indigo, it is our favourite part of training!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can teach your dog to bark on command even if you don't expect it to actually protect you. If you want to use the "guard" command instead of something more benign like "speak", that would probably be enough of a deterrent for most people.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

A dog trained in anything that shows aggression towards a human-including just putting on a show(barking, lunging, snarling) is no longer a pet. This animal is a PP dog and I hope you continue your training.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post
A dog trained in anything that shows aggression towards a human-including just putting on a show(barking, lunging, snarling) is no longer a pet. This animal is a PP dog and I hope you continue your training.
I really don't think thats true. It can still be a pet/companion. Meaning for show you are talking about Sch. right?

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:30 PM

You can simply teach your dog to bark on command, but make the command gaurd or something along those lines. The dog doesn't need to know why you are teaching it to bark on command.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiewessie99 View Post
I really don't think thats true. It can still be a pet/companion. Meaning for show you are talking about Sch. right?
If you read my posts properly you would see that I wrote two conflicting things.

'I think that pets should be pets and sch. dogs should be sch. dogs-but sch. dogs can still be pets.' and 'A dog A dog trained in anything that shows aggression towards a human-including just putting on a show(barking, lunging, snarling) is no longer a pet.'

What I meant was 'is no longer JUST a pet.

And I did not call sch. for show. I said 'putting on a show(barking, lunging, snarling)' I said barking, lunging and snarling were for show.

There are many MANY differences in Sch. training and PP work. I am not qualified to give you the difference so you'll have to read up.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 PM

My opinion, for you cassadee, I don't think I would..Only because you have 5 kids, who have friends, you want to live with this dog, and I'm sure you want the dog to be friendly with your kids, and your kids friends..

I am definately all for obedience training on ANY dog. When you throw a bunch of kids into the equation, I wouldn't want a mean, aggressive, (even if its' for show) bone in it's body..(and I know you don't either)..

And sure you can teach a dog to bark, (it may backfire and you may have one that doesn't shut up! LOL),,but I'm not sure I would want to teach that either..

I think these dogs can be a deterrent just by being "them", and actually being 'silent'.
I have had workmen here before, who were unphased by my barking dog, yet were very very wary of my silent 'watching' gsd who wouldn't have hurt a bug\\\

Ok done rambling

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
liv

Kokoda's "speak" command is gib laut, and when I give it she barks like crazy, teeth everywhere, front feet coming off the ground, and we're working on getting deeper barks. I think it would be pretty intimidating - they don't need to know she's doing it to get her ball

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page