clicker training, strange dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

clicker training, strange dogs.

Skylar is being clicker trained, started in obedience. She responds so well to it, but I have issues figuring out what behaviour i'm supposed to mark, I know it's good behaviour but i'm horrible with figuring out when that is.
So, She has started to get really protective of me when on walks, when strangers pass and especially other dogs. She's fine at obedience, day care, etc with other dogs, its just on walks- she growls, barks and pulls at them. I'd like to use her clicker when this happens, but when should i click/treat? We usually go into sit/stay but she still lunges when they pass. I think she'd learn faster if I use the clicker.
People always want to bring their dogs to her, because she looks nice and walks nicely, etc so if they see us a ways down the trail they think she'll be nice to their dogs, which isn't always true, she's not aggressive, but she is over protective. I tell them she's being trained so please don't come over, just walk by, but they still come over so i've had to say she's aggressive just to get them to take me seriously, and I hate doing it because she's not.
She has been socialized a lot but this is a new behaviour and i want to catch it and correct it.
SO, when should I click? And she's 5 1/2 months, is that one of the "fear stages"?
I just need like step by step instructions on how to handle this.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

When using a clicker, you "click" a few seconds after the desire behavior. You want to click and treat as soon as the dog does the desired behavior.

I can tell you how to use the clicker, but I don't yet know how to get the desired behavior of walking by another dog without lunging.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM

She's not being protective... at least not of you. She's scared and "protecting" herself by acting mean to make the scary things go away.

I don't clicker train so I can't give you step by step instructions. The most advice I can offer is that she gets clicked/treated/praised when she sees the other dogs/people and remains calm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do you think it's like an insecurity thing? like she's insecure or something?
I can see her being like that, but i didn't think she'd growl because of it, any ideas on how i could make her more confident? do you think that would help? Im willing to try anything and everything.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Clicker training will increase her confidence! My puppy is fearfully reactive around other dogs and basically what I have been doing to starting a good distance away from other dogs and working my way closer to them, meanwhile click/treating for desirable behavior (ie looking at the dog without reacting, etc). If she reacts, I move back to a distance that she was successful at and then start to work my way closer, again.

From what you describe, it sounds like she is a little fearful and is trying to make herself look "big and bad" to discourage the approach. However, I am far from an expert : ). It certainly may be a fear stage.

You could also try to build a focus command that you would basically use as a distraction as other dogs pass. This basically just allows her to focus on you instead of the other dog.

These are just a few things I have been trying/having success with, but as I previously stated, I'm sorta a newbie so I am also interested in other suggestions!!

Good luck!

Kaya (GSD) - May 9th, 2010

Kobi (Aussie) - April 1st, 2009

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thanks!
i found this: Dog Training Basics - Quick Tips To Increase Confidence & Decrease Fearfulness
and i've been doing pretty much everything wrong So with some more socialization the right way, we'll work through it, i think. Skylar learns so fast and it seriously is me that needs to be trained.
She learned a focus command in obedience class, I just didn't think of applying it here.
I really like the first idea, hmmiller05, kind of desensitizing her, which i could totally apply to her clicker training.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
When using a clicker, you "click" a few seconds after the desire behavior. .
This is not correct.

You click to mark the behavior you want. If you click a few seconds after the behavior, you are marking the behavior that is occuring a few seconds later.

This isn't something I would personally use a clicker to train for, but that's JMHO.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Rerun, how would you deal with it?
It seems that when she's in a familiar place (moms boarding kennel, obedience, home, our regular walking route) she's pretty fine (occasional issue) but outside, like hiking trails, vet, etc. she's reacting to every.single.dog. so i think we'll start working on her confidence and see how she does.

I'm open to any and all opinions/advice!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

There have been a few discussions lately regarding how to train a reactive dog. Personally, I correct them for this kind of behavior. Clicker people/positive only trainers usually say it'll ruin your dog. I use the backslash in there because not all clicker people are positive only, but almost all positive only are clicker trainers.

It's your personal preference as to what you believe, but I've worked with a lot of rescues and if this problem crops up, a proper correction and redirect to handler always works and nips this problem in the bud before it gets out of control.

Last edited by Rerun; 10-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
This is not correct.

You click to mark the behavior you want. If you click a few seconds after the behavior, you are marking the behavior that is occuring a few seconds later.

This isn't something I would personally use a clicker to train for, but that's JMHO.
I'm sorry I got that wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page