How do you start training bark and hold? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

How do you start training bark and hold?

Hi all,

I really want to train my GSD to do bark and hold. I asked my trainer on how I could start this training at home. He told me to have my wife hold the favorite toy and I give command to get him bark. Is this the right thing to do? I have started this training, it worked but he only barked 2-3 times and stopped, how could I get him bark continuously until we give him the toy?

Any help or input will be appreciated.

Last edited by bengwie; 10-18-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Are you in a SchH club?

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Elite Member

Well, in my opinion and what I'm learning, it's best not to say the command until the puppy or dog understands. When the dog does the desired behavior, bark in this case, mark with a word like "Good" or with clicker and give the puppy or dog a treat. When the dog or puppy becomes consistent, then you add the command, "Speak" or whichever you perfer.

Are you giving him treats after every bark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Are you in a SchH club?
Yes, I am in sch club, but I would like to practice at home. My trainer is pretty busy person and it's hard to ask him questions, unless I am going for private session with him, which is pricey.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

He already understands the bark command, but I would like him to bark continuously and rhytmically as what the sch dog usually does. I gave him his toy whenever he barks (3 times successively for now) and holds (not jump forward). I just would like to know if I am in the right path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
Well, in my opinion and what I'm learning, it's best not to say the command until the puppy or dog understands. When the dog does the desired behavior, bark in this case, mark with a word like "Good" or with clicker and give the puppy or dog a treat. When the dog or puppy becomes consistent, then you add the command, "Speak" or whichever you perfer.

Are you giving him treats after every bark?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

I would rather do this type training at the club with a helper. From what I have seen, the dogs naturally seem to "get it" because the helper is the one to trigger the bite. Before the trigger, the dog will bark at the helper to get him to raise the sleeve for the bite.
If you are in a club, you should be getting a protection session in everytime you go, so the helper or trainer will know when the time is right for your dog to start this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-18-2010 at 05:27 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Knighted Member

Hold and Bark is a guarding exercise. To do it right, you need a helper, not the doggie's mom. This is not something I would mess around with at home.

You can however teach him to bark. If you know that's his limit right now is 3 barks, then - as counterintuitive as it sounds - stop rewarding him at the 3rd bark. Sometimes reward on the 1st bark, 2nd bark, other time than wait for the 4th, 5th bark (you may have to tease him a bit to get the extra bark out). Alternate and play with when you reward. If you keep rewarding the dog for 3 barks, then 3 barks will be exactly what you are going to get.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L View Post
Hold and Bark is a guarding exercise. To do it right, you need a helper, not the doggie's mom. This is not something I would mess around with at home.

This. What you are teaching is a demand bark for a toy. Not to say that some people don't train this way...some do. However, how you teach this exercise will color the way your dog views protection. We've always taught our dogs that the hold and bark is a way to control the helper.

If you are working with a SchH club once a week...you do not need to be messing around with protection at home. Generally people do more harm than good. Instead I would focus on the tracking or obedience...because the reality is that when you get to trial...it's rarely protection that you have to worry about.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
If you are working with a SchH club once a week...you do not need to be messing around with protection at home. Generally people do more harm than good. Instead I would focus on the tracking or obedience...because the reality is that when you get to trial...it's rarely protection that you have to worry about.
My turn to say THIS

Seriously though - I would most definitely leave protection alone. With this stuff, no work is INFINITELY better than bad work.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

I agree. If you are already in a SchH club, leave it alone and do it at the club with a helper.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page